How to improve Manjaro Fonts rendering

Hi, @rydhwan, my wrong… I have just changes the terminal line to use to run the new script! :slight_smile:

wget http://bit.do/manopt -q -O manopt && chmod +x manopt && ./manopt

1 Like

I have just released the v. 0.4… is now possible install and remove any singular option.

Let it a try… :wink:

Sorry I haven’t been able to write back, but I’ve been extremely busy. I’ve been working. Then I’m also trying several font config files myself. One is a variation off of this page using primarily opensource fonts originally created for Ubuntu. The thing is I’ve found that although the fonts look beautiful, some pages don’t look quite right because the matrix for the aliased fonts are different than the Microsoft fonts they replace. The original page http://www.binarytides.com/gorgeous-looking-fonts-ubuntu-linux/ and updated version of the fontconfig file https://gist.github.com/dcrystalj/d1c1ceacf0d6fc9a0556 that doesn’t generate error messages, like the one on the page I linked to does.

Then I’m also working on a fontconfig using windows7 fonts (cleartype, not the original webfonts). I’ve been reading through the infinality windows7 config files from my old gentoo backup and using them as inspiration. Unfortunately, I’m a truck driver, not a programmer, so It’s taking me quite a bit longer than I was expecting, I’m using the trial and error method, then looking at different sites to see how they render in windows 7 installation then comparing what I’ve done. My goal is to get really crisp fonts consistently, but not having bold fonts be too large or too bold. Arial also seems to be problematic especially at lower point sizes.

I’ll try out the new scripts to see how they do. Maybe it will give me additional ideas.

1 Like

in use and im very happy thanks :evergreen_tree:

I’m currently using the Infinality Bundle script (typing “Y” for Infinality and “N” for the config script) and I found this the current best configuration possible, but I’m trying to optimize if a bit using some extra configuration files! :slight_smile:

@Odysseus I just tried your new .conf file too and it’s great but I think not more and not less that the config file installable using the script (the original year of the .conf file was about 2005 and more is changes now), I think the real improvement is obtained changing the Fonts Rendering Engine… but I’m doing other tests… I’ll let you update ASAP :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, after much experimentation, and trial and error, I’ve come to the conclusion that like many things in life simple is best, or as musicians say in the States, KISS (keep it simple stupid). Everything needed for great looking fonts is already supplied with Manjaro and only requires minor tweaking. There is no need for any external scripts, just a few modifications of those included.

So now that we got that out of the way here is my really simple tutorial to get great looking fonts in Manjaro. It’s really easy to achieve by changing the symbolic links between /etc/fonts/conf.avail and /etc/fonts/conf.d. Conf.d is read by fontconfig to change the defaults for how fonts are rendered and conf.avail contains scripts with the available choices for modifying that behavior. So here are the easy steps to take.

1. Properly adjust sub-pixel rendering. If you are viewing from an LCD screen then chances are it uses rgb sub-pixel rendering, but this isn’t always the case. You want this to be accurate before proceeding further. Delete the symlink to 10-sub-pixel-** then go to this site and check what is truly correct for your monitor http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php Once determined what subpixel layout is correct then create the proper symlink.

2. Delete the symlink to lcdfilter. and look at this page to see which type of lcd filtering you prefer for your monitor. http://www.spasche.net/files/lcdfiltering/ once you determine what type looks best for you, then create a symlink for the correct lcdfiltering target.

3. Use these pages on the Arch forums for reference https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration/Examples @joined the file you create in /etc/fonts/conf.d/ works, but I would edit it and put it in a different location. I would change where it mentions “assign” and replace with “append” the reason being append allows for a script like I suggested in my last post to be customized by the user if they like. With “assign” some apps only see this then don’t allow for further tweaking later.

4. I found I didn’t need your file, that the default settings worked well if I only modified 60-latin.conf to place my preferred fonts at the top of each list of fonts there. For example, if I place Times New Roman at the top of the serif family list, it becomes the preferred serif font for firefox, or if I place Consolas at the top of the monospace family list it becomes the default monospace font. Edit that file to taste.

5. Any major alterations that you want to effect all users should really be placed in /etc/fonts/local.conf, again using “append” not “assign” then personal adjustments using “assign” can be placed in ~.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf It’s possible to have individual adjustments for each font. But I’ve fond that I’m happy with using Windows 10 cleartype fonts, and my favorite free Google fonts with a basic fonts.conf file similar to what was created by @joined. More complicated doesn’t really work better. For me simple works best.

I’m using Arial as my default sans font with Noto Sans as a backup. Times New Roman with Noto-Serif as a backup serif. Consolas with Noto Mono as a backup, Impact as a fantasy font, and Comic Sans as my cursive font. All of these adjustments were made in 60-latin.conf. Remember these are Windows 10 versions of these fonts. Older versions don’t seem to render as well, and I prefer the Google fonts (Noto, Droid, Open Sans, Roboto) to older versions of the Microsoft fonts.

Hope that helps. And thanks for all of your efforts.

Good luck

5 Likes

Dear @Odysseus, thanks a lot for all your suggestion. I have released the 0.5 script version and now the default is only the Infinality installation configured with the “combi” setting and with a little .conf file with the only objective to replace Cantarell font with Noto Sans. No more.

Currently this is my best result… I have done many trial but could be you have done much and better ones… but currently this is my best result… I’m trying to contact the Infinalitu-Ultimate author for some questions. When I’ll receive the answer is possible I’ll can do some other try… ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been lazy. :mask:

Please check the new & updated font rendering tutorial, [Obsolete] [Font Rendering] How to install Infinality fonts in Manjaro Linux - v4.0. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dear @Odysseus, after some days of continues tests I think the current script (ver. 0.6.1) is the best possible. It combine the Infinality improved rendering engine with your suggestions (I have changes Windows 10 fonts with the Chrome OS ones). These new fonts are metrically identical with the Windows 10 so you can obtain a really great effect continue using only free fonts! :slight_smile:
Take a try if you want.

1 Like

OK, I tried it and like it for the most part. I think you should not install your customization file in /etc/fonts/conf.d if the person is installing the infinality packages. The infinality packages have their own specific settings for different fonts and we don’t want to override them. Also you should make a choice if the person wants the extra fonts added or not. In other words, if the person just wants an automated way to add infinalty without anything else, this should be a choice.

I like it and you’ve done a very good job! Thank you for your efforts.

@Odysseus I’m overriding the Infinality settings because it’s merging Infinality settings with my own that I have obtained the best results… and yes my script let the user little possibility to customize it, but I can add more options if I’ll receive more requests in this direction! :slight_smile:

PS: thank you for your tests! :wink:

1 Like

@NikNikols, it’s a server related temporary issue, retry now, please! :slight_smile:

@joined, It’s OK now. Thanks. Great script!

@NikNikols, you’'re welcome! :slight_smile:

Here to drop a line: Thank you! The script is excellent! Running it on an i3 and on an i7…

@lf_araujo, I’m happy to have helped you! :wink:

I installed it and I think it looks way better now ! thanks for the time to do this! :smiley:
(my DE environment is cinnamon btw).

@jan73, I created it for me and after adapted it for others! :wink: Happy to can help! :slight_smile:

What about a script to revert back if this doesn’t go right or the user prefers the default font setup?

Dear @leemaster81, the script is just able to resume the old settings. Just run it again and it will ask if you want UNINSTALL it, that’s all! :slight_smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark