How to get metacity themes working on Manjaro

I’m not sure if this is the proper place for this question, and if not, I’ll go there, but it would be nice to know if I can get Metacity themes working again. I kind of miss the one I made custom, lol

Well they don’t actually ‘do’ much. I edited a couple when I used Linux Mint, and they worked exactly the same way for Manjaro (Cinnamon) - and if you have them backed up, they’ll always work with Cinnamon.

I’m pretty sure they just needed copying to ~/.themes or /usr/share/themes for system wide (and root) theming.

You can’t. Ever since Cinnamon 5.4.0 they removed metacity from being supported, so now we’re all stuck with the same ugly window decorations. The Mint team are gnomifying Cinnamon but keep denying it.

The only way we could use metacity now is if someone makes a fork of Cinnamon 5.2 where metacity was still supported and working.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s time to give KDE a whirl…

They aren’t really ‘Gnomifying’ it.

Cinnamon was a rescue for people who used Gnome2 in the past and didn’t want to move on to Gnome3 or Unity.

1 Like

i thought that was mate

1 Like

Mate was the kind of direct Gnome2 continuation, I had a year or two on that before using Cinnamon.
Cinnamon was the posher version - so yes, more modern - more like Gnome3 I guess but with the familiar behaviour and layout.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.