How to follow instructions for third-party application

Ofcourse but that generally means the homedir of the user when a new terminal is opened :wink:

1 Like

in which case the paths would be, ex ~/bin which you dont want.

Hmmm yea you’re correct indeed, i stand corrected :+1:

:arrow_up: best option IMHO also…

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll go with that. Thank you everybody for your helpful and clarifying answers. :smiley:

1 Like

Better replace that “in” with “under” :wink:

OK fine I took that … under … consideration with an edit :wink:

I unpacked the the programm under ./local/share and the symlink under .local/share/applications. Created a menu item in the menu editor and can start the program now very easily from the menu. Thanks everybody!

Just to make it clear and prevent unwanted side-effects:

1. You unpacked the program in a sub-directory of ~/.local/share right?
    (that’s what “under” meant in that context)
  2. You should only put desktop files inside ~/.local/share/applications.
    (This is the place used to create a desktop file when you created your menu item using the menu editor)
  3. A symbolic link in ~/.local/bin, for the binary used to start your application, is only needed when you don’t use a desktop file. as in (2)
    Or when that path is in your $PATH and want to be able to start it without using a path inside a terminal.
1 Like

thanks @TriMoon for bringing this up again.

1. You unpacked the program in a sub-directory of `~/.local/share` right?
(that’s what “under” meant in that context)

Yes =)

1. You should only put desktop files inside ~/.local/share/applications .
    (This is the place used to create a desktop file when you created your menu item using the menu editor)

That’s what I did.

1. A symbolic link in ~/.local/bin , for the binary used to start your application, is only needed when you don’t use a desktop file. as in (2)

Okay, I didn’t do this.

But I created a menu entry via the control panel. Which created (next to the symlink) a second (*.desktop-) file in the .local/share/applications/ folder. Not harmful I guess?

Then i would remove that symbolic link as it is not a desktop file :wink:

1 Like

Done! =)

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.