How to enable Wayland as the standard manager in Gnome

Hi, I want to enable Wayland as the standard display manager again, I think if I remember correctly it was the standard one when I installed manjaro gnome. I have however messed with quite a few settings to use the nvidia(mx150) GPU, especially because updates sometimes broke optimus-manager, envycontrol and others which I then switched between. I now don’t have time to game anymore and want to use wayland again. Can’t find out how to though

I’ve tried to edit the /etc/gdm/custom.conf file to WaylandEnable=true, and also reinstalled some gnome packages. nothing has worked thoug. I also remember explicitly having to choose xorg session if I wanted it at login before, now that menu just gives the options gnome and gnome classic. From tty2 I’m able to with gnome-shell --wayland launch a session, I want it as standard when booting though, and not have to start a new session in tty2.

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.
    (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

This post might give some hints what to change & where:

Yeah, I had seen it before, thought it wouldn’t apply though because I just want to run wayland on intel graphics. Worked though.
sudo ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules
sudo update-grub
did the job. Now the menu in the bottom right corner on login is also contains “GNOME on Xorg” and “GNOME Classic on Xorg” again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.