[How To] Enable Hardware Acceleration on Panfrost and Lima devices

How To Enable Hardware Acceleration on Panfrost and Lima devices

KDE Plasma

1. Install mesa-git and the OpenGLES enabled QT5 packages: sudo pacman -S mesa-git qt5-es2-base qt5-es2-declarative qt5-es2-multimedia
  2. Uninstall the FB Turbo driver: sudo pacman -R xf86-video-fbturbo
  3. Enable hardware rendering by editing /etc/environment and commenting the
    QT_QUICK_RENDERER=software line.
  4. Switch on compositor and enable OpenGL backend in System Settings -> Display -> Compositor
  5. Reboot

es2_info (from mesa-demos package) should now show you using Panfrost or Mali400 as the GL Renderer and OpenGL ES 2.0 as GL Version.

You can run qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation to verify that Kwin is running with OpenGL ES.

XFCE and other GTK desktops

1. Install mesa-git: sudo pacman -S mesa-git
  2. Uninstall the FB Turbo driver: sudo pacman -R xf86-video-fbturbo-git
  3. Reboot

es2_info (from mesa-demos package) should now show you using Panfrost or Mali400 as the GL Renderer and OpenGL ES 2.0 as GL Version.

However, to get QT apps using OpenGLES too, you need to install qt5-es2-base, qt5-es2-declarative, qt5-es2-multimedia packages as well.

Known issues with Hardware Acceleration

For known issues list, please see the Status of OpenGLES with Panfrost/Lima topic.

7 Likes

I made a little script if someone wants to change from Panfrost to Fbturbo just with 1 click

the only thing the user has to do is: change the Compositor from off to on and from xrender to opengl and vise versa. its just tested for the KDE Edition.

3 Likes

Thanks for this guide. This seemed to have improved performance in some areas. My application menu widget opens with less of a delay and Dolphin launches faster are the first two things I noticed. Nice improvement on my end

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by