How to enable Boot splash?

Hi i recently, literaly just a few minutes ago, found out about Manjaro’s GitLab.
As i was browsing there i came across some patch files wrt boot splash in linux58.
As i had just re-installed manjaro yesterday, or maybe a day earlier, and didn’t see any boot splash when booting up…
How do we enable this boot animation?
Or are those patches related to the animation of the Plasma login? :confused:

2 Likes

Hmmm very interesting, thank you :+1:
Why isn’t it enabled by default for manjaro then?
I will for sure read more about it and try to enable it on my system :handshake:

1 Like

See this explanation from a recent discussion:

2 Likes

Thanks, well IMHO any boot animation is better as none as default…
The end user can ofcourse change it afterwards to gain experience in it, but leaving it out is like staying in pc-dos time :smiley:

/me heads over to enable it…

Install bootsplash-systemd and bootsplash-manjaro (or any bootsplash theme you like)

Why don’t the theme files have a dependency on bootsplash-systemd :confused:
Ahh well…

We have it on on our PIne64 devices. On regular PCs it is usual off, as we display the Vendor logos from our hardware manufacturers. So bootsplash is mostly not needed on our Manjaro hardware devices.

Thanks it works beautifully :1st_place_medal:
It could use some automation though after being installed, so that it automatically uses the splash theme without the need for an extra kernel option.
(The user already has to remove the quiet option)

My first thought would be a config file on the initrd image only, that has the same content as what is needed as the kernel option’s value…
Or perhaps automatically use the one installed, because each theme would have to conflict with each other. (One can only have one splash theme active at the same time)
I will think about how to make that happen one day :+1:

1 Like

The vendor’s BIOS/uefi vga initialization is often very poop quality, combine with older graphics card that has notoriously unsupported driver creates very complex scenario. Having splash logo is adding more complexity.

1 Like

If only boot splash can drop down to terminal when something is wrong instead of stuck showing the splash image, that would be better for the masses. But last time I try it doesn’t. So I’m sticking to splashless boot for quick diagnosis. Anything can go wrong anytime.

3 Likes

Press Esc :wink:

I know that, but I implicitly stated “automatic” :wink:
Push notification is better than pull

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.