How to delete old GNOME Backups?

Hi all,

I have a very simple question, but simply can’t find the answer to it. I’m running 43.4 on my machine (see full specs below), and have the Backups app set to backup specific folders each week.

Now I’m currently in desperate need to free up some space on my machine, and backups is taking up a lot of it. I’d like to do three things:

1. Reduce the frequency of backups to monthly (it’s currently weekly and there’s no option I can see to make it monthly or biweekly, see Screenshot 1)
  2. Shorten the time before which old backups are deleted (it’s currently 3 months and I can’t lower it any further, see Screenshot 1)
  3. Delete some of my old backups (I can only view old backups and choose to restore one of them - there’s no option to delete them, see Screenshot 2)

Screenshot 1:

Screenshot 2 (Notice the Date dropdown on the bottom right. I can use it to see old backups, but there’s no way to delete them):

Any help on any/all of these 3 points greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

System Info:

• Kernel: 5.13.19-2-MANJARO
  • Shell: bash 5.1.16
  • DE: GNOME 43.4
  • WM: Mutter

Hello @hohenheim :wink:

Gnome Backups was actually DejaDup something like Duplicati. Don’t quote me on that, but I believe these values are fixed because a higher frequency of backups produces more overhead. There it is said At least three months; take into account that it watches the space as well. If not enough space is available, it should also delete backups which are younger than 3 months.

It is made to be used on a cloud storage or at least on a storage or partition, which only used by this tool. It will always try to use all space and delete old backups if not enough space available.

So please keep in mind, that it is designed that way.

You cannot delete older backups yourself, it does it automatically if it is older than 3 months, or you have no space left.