How to deal with AUR packages that break things

OK, let’s say I am very wrong but every single time I hit refresh repositories with pamac package update. it takes forever if it does not hang as it usually does lately. I’ve no idea what fiberoptic connection you have, but in two seconds pamac has not even pinged the first of the repositories.

Let’s say you run the update and ten packages are available for updating.
Two of them you do not want upgraded, you want them held back. How do you upgrade the rest?

What happens when you hit pacman -Syyu ? How do you hold packages back?

What packages were not buildable by the system from AUR. I don’t remember since the experience was so problematic I gave up even trying AUR. I think I only have two packages installed from AUR. The rest either could not build or were problematic when they did built. IE Abiword, which works fine in Debian, is really flaky here. Either the cursor vanishes from main repository, or from AUR the whole screen flickers and there is no cursor. Spellchecking is problematic in most packages I have used spell checking.

One of the reasons I tried Manjaro was to play around with GnuNet, which I never was able to get it to work.

Here is a quote from Distrowatch "There are over one thousand contributors to Debian who maintain over 50,000 software packages. "

What are we comparing here?

An equivalent number.

15,756 Stable & Testing
41,481 AUR

Not including any unique to Manjaro.

In /etc/pacman.conf you will find the following:

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
#IgnorePkg   =
#IgnoreGroup =

uncomment IgnorePkg and add packages you want to exclude from update.

1 Like

I never use -Syuu, just was wondering how long it will take. Didn’t want to write it takes few seconds if I never used the command before. But thanks for the warning anyway. :grinning:

Why would you want to use AUR for abiword its in the repro. Debian packages are very strange many are not supported for years a lot don’t work and the last time I delved into Debian Abiword would not build due to missing deps and I had to enable the experimental sid repro to build it.

Don’t take this as a insult But I think you are suffering with a basic lack of Arch/manjaro knowledge and in the rolling release system as a whole.

It is also not a wise move to hold packages back on a rolling release as the system will break From the arch wiki arch does not support partial upgrades this applies also to manjaro

Maybe Manjaro is not for you you could try Solus its point and click and does support partial updates so the say.

To add to what @Phrosgone just posted regarding holding back packages.

It certainly works, but please be cautious with this. It is very useful in certain cases; say holding back a package that requires quite a bit of user-intervention to upgrade. I have one I hold back just for that purpose. I do always upgrade it, just not with everything else at once. That’s one example; there are others.

It is not a tool to be used arbitrarily. Manajro & Arch don’t support partial upgrades because partial upgrades break systems. But it’s a great tool for its intended purposes.

It’s not the same as APT pinning in Debian, however.

regards

1 Most packages in manjaro main repositories also exist in a different, sometime older, version in AUR. If you add the unique 50,000 packages in Debian to all the Debian based distro stuff (similar to AUR) we will be in 6 digit figures. But this is not the issue, the issue is the enormous difference in time it takes to update manjaro repository database compared to debian on the same machine. I have no idea what it was like ten years ago. I only know that if I hit pacman -Syy two times in a row, one after a week and one after two minutes it takes the same long time. And that is not 2 seconds.

What is there in a rolling release that I do not understand when I have stated I came here from Debian. Debian refreshed packages twice a day.
In terms of Abiword when I installed it in Debian it worked great first try.
When I installed it in Manjaro it DOES NOT WORK, or if you consider writing without being able where the cursor is a functional word processor, I will shut up.
I tried to use one from AUR in case it worked better, it still had no cursor and the whole screen flickered like the power supply had a WW2 blender plugged in it.

I thought I was very clear when I made the same statement above, why is it that you twist everything I say around to make a point?
Neither Manjaro’s Abiword works or AUR’s version works.
This is supposed to be a user-friendly distribution, or should I say a user-friendlier distribution than Arch or Debian.

In terms of packages held back, do you know that packages exist that do their own updating internally without a package manager? If I was to allow pacman or pamac update them then all my settings, bookmarks, plugins would be gone.

Furthermore the last 2-3 updates had already taken place before pamac/pacman decided they needed updating. I made the mistake once and it cost me a few days worth of research work as it deleted everything. Never again!

So please save me the generalization speech about holding packages back and send my regards to the developers doing sloppy irresponsible work.

And since you got my blood flowing and pressuring high, maybe there should be a developer that works on grub that can explain why grub DOES NOT WORK!

Please read all my other inquiries on grub. I have to do work to make it work or it fails every-single time something kernel related is updated, in this or another distribution.

I assume you mean when dual-booting. For example, *buntus and downstream like Mint and Manjaro?

I have tested this once, and it worked. I expect to be testing again this week:

Which ones? Tell me what they are and I’ll try to help you with them. Then you’ll know how to do so and we can put this whole discussion–which has long run its course–to bed.

The point of a user-friendly distribution is that you open pamac, you click on the available package and it installs without further tinkering. If I was willing to download sourcefiles from independent developers and compile them manually I would have chosen Linux-From-Scratch, which is a wonderful learning experience.

I have accepted that Manjaro needs to be on top of booting and its own grub configuration is unique. If another system handles grub booting
manjaro will not start.

BUT, when manjaro updates-grub, although during the process it locates other distribution, the grub.cfg it writes ommits all other entries and leaves only manjaro. This is very microsoftish behavior. It caused me three isntalls to figure it out and has been doing it repetitevely ever since.

I just let it happen then cut the manjaro entry into another distributions grub.cfg and it runs fine.

So exactly what did I do wrong Abiword installed and working
I’m stating to think you are just here to troll

3 Likes

@fungilife, I’m asking you straight-out: Are you a troll?

EDIT: Whoops, @mandog beat me to it.

2 Likes

I’m starting to think that as well. I have more than 10 distros across 2 hard drives and the Manjaro update-grub finds each and every one of them.

Well, except Solus. It can’t find Solus but then no other distro can because Solus is weirder than Manjaro when it comes to boot and has its kernels located in /usr/lib/kernel .

Usually if it gets to the point where you have to ask this question, it becomes rhetorical…

3 Likes

No, if you care not to find excuses and read above I praise manjaro in many respects. I have yet in many threads not been able to get advise about the grub problem. The only thing (conf file I have altered is grub.cfg) only because it removes all other entries after update. If I install it by debian I have to edit IT there to make manjaro work, which is well documented. In any case grub instal /dev/sda breaks something that can only be fixed manually till next install.

The method of holding back packages named above is good advise.

Since criticism is labeled as troll-activity I will let it rest, till more appear to agree with the criticism.

Abiword in Manjaro is not functional and it has the same result in three different (but similar) amd64 machines. NO CURSOR!!!

Abiword works very well on those same machines in other systems. Maybe it is an LXDE related bug, I don’t know.

mandog, can you read english directly or through google translate, because I think I was very clear. Search the forum for abiword and you will see there have been many trolls just like me.

@fungilife, @mandog, @c00ter What does your communication have to do with the original topic? What impression do you leave with your communication in a topic in the category Newbie Corner? I will close this topic and if I find time I will clean it from your discussion. I will probably just delete most of it and not create a separate topic - that would be too much honour.

Edit: @StevenJobs, please, next time be more specific, provide terminal output (in this case of your yaourt commands), otherwise chances are high that your topic goes off-topic.

Forum kindly sponsored by