How to create your own Manjaro spin with manjaro-tools

If you want a Video Tutorial Version of Manjaro-Tools. Click on the link below.
Building Manjaro by Spatry

In this tutorial. I’m going to show you how to create your own Manjaro Distro by using Manjaro-Tools.

Now, I know you read other Manjaro-Tools build ISO Tutorials. However, Manjaro-Tools keeps changing after new versions was released.

This version I’m going to show you was version 0.11.2-2.

First, open Terminal then enter this command to update your system.
pacman -Syyu

Next, open Pamac and search for Manjaro-Tools. Then download manjaro-tools-base and manjaro-tools-iso.

You will also need to download manjaro-iso-profiles. There are three packages to choose. manjaro-iso-profiles-community, manjaro-iso-profiles-minimal, and manjaro-iso-profiles-official. For this tutorial, I’m going to download manjaro-iso-profiles-official.

While Pamac is installing all Manjaro-Tools packages that you need. If Pamac ask you which important package you want the most. We want manjaro-isolinux.

If your Manjaro Distro does not have Pamac or Octopi. Open Terminal and enter this command. Then choose the packages that you need to build.
sudo pacman -S manjaro-tools

Now, I know a lot of you download manjaro-tools-iso-profiles from GitHub website. I did tried that. But, it does not work for me. Sometimes, the build gets a error or keeps failing. It may work for you. But, if you like me and the build keeps failing. I recommend download one of these manjaro-iso-profiles from Pamac, Octopi, or Terminal Pacman.

After you got everything install that we need. Now open Thunar Root by right click your Desktop Screen and click on Thunar Root. After you open Thunar Root. Make sure you turn on Show Hidden Files by push (Ctrl + H).

Now go to this directory folder.
/usr/share/manjaro-tools/

Next, let’s name your own Manjaro Distro. Go to isolinux, then open gfxboot.cfg and find product=Manjaro Linux then change from Manjaro Linux to whatever you want to name your own Distro.

Now, go back to manjaro-tools folder then go to iso-profiles. Then go to any Distro folder you want to build. For example, if I want to build off Official XFCE. You go to offical folder then go to xfce folder.

Next, let’s clone our Desktop Settings that we have made. Go to xfce-overlay then go to etc. Now, create skel folder. Go to skel folder you just create.

We’re going to set our Custom Wallpaper as default. Open your Home Folder. Make sure you have Show Hidden Files turn on by push (Ctrl + H).

Now go to this directory.
/home/<username>/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/

Open xfce4-desktop.xml then change all wallpaper locations from “/usr/share/backgrounds/xfce/manjaro.jpg” to your custom wallpaper location. Then save this file.

Now, go back to your Home folder then copy “.config” to skel folder you just created.

Next, go back to xfce-overlay and create usr/share/backgrounds. Put your Custom Wallpaper to the background folder you just created. So, Manjaro-Tools will automatically put your Custom Wallpaper to the correct directory folder.

Go back to xfce folder. Then open Packages-Xfce. This is where you can add any packages you want. Under ## Applications this is where you want to add any applications you want. After you finish adding any packages you want. Save this file.

That’s it! We’re ready to build!

Now, open Terminal and enter this command to Root Terminal.
su

Then enter this command to the directory folder.
cd /usr/share/manjaro-tools

If you want to build 64-Bit Version. Enter this command.
buildiso -p xfce

If you want to build 32-Bit Version. Enter this command.
buildiso -p xfce -a i686

If you get a error while building. Enter the last command you just entered before and try again.

After Manjaro-Tools finish building your ISO. Then you’re done!

Your 64-Bit ISO file was located at
/var/cache/manjaro-tools/iso/official/xfce/16.03/x86_64/

Your 32-Bit ISO file was located at
/var/cache/manjaro-tools/iso/official/xfce/16.03/i686/

I hope this tutorial helps you to build your own Manjaro Distro.

Good luck!

11 Likes
Manjaro Tools tutorial for Custom Remix ISOs?
Re-Print of how to start building your own Manjaro - by: ABOhiccups
[Solved] Live boot options with persistent installs
Re-Print of how to start building your own Manjaro - by: ABOhiccups
What I would add/change to Manjaro
[Testing Update] 2019-03-11 - KDE Frameworks, AMDVLK, LXDE, Glib2
Manjaro based distro
Free(dom) Operating System
Chazy trying to build an Xfce OpenRC ISO

How do we include AUR packages within a customized iso using buildiso?

Thank you

MacBook 12" 2017: How to create *.iso with AUR driver?

Build a custom repo with those packages and include it in user-repos.conf file. You used to be able to do this with local repo, but nowadays it needs to be a online repo.

To setup custom repo easily, see here

And
Use dropbox to make it online repo.

Would it be possible to simulate an online repo?

Not sure. Only @artoo can tell for sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can, artoo might consider it an exploit and counteract it on coming update. He really dislikes team using non reproducible methods to create isos

buildiso doesn’t accept local repos, with file:///some/path/to/$repo/$arch

You can use a repo that is accessible over network, but in case of a local network, the final iso will have this repo included in pacman.conf, which is of course not accessible if it it is only on local network.

Not necessary, buildiso will default to this path, if no git repo is found in $HOME.

Thanks! - makes sense. Not a good idea sending out a spin with repos in local prison.

When I save the new name in gfxboot.cfg it gives me a permission denied error

Scratch that… I wasn’t root at the time

How to become a contributor to manjaro repositories?

I find it easier to copy the iso-profiles folder from user/share/manjaro-tools to my home folder and rename it to manjaro-tools-iso-profiles it can then be edited without needing root access.

I’m interested in using an existing community edition profile (Cinnamon), and build an iso with an update kernel (my new laptop requires 4.8+, and all of the image except LXQt apparently are all 4.4). I see multiple references to KERNEL in there, but don’t see where it is set.I’m interested in updating the kernel for an already existing community edition.

I’m also interested in skipping Grub entirely (since I am on a UEFI system). Would I just set efi_boot_loader=“systemd-boot” in order to do that?

How do I do all this with kde?

2 Likes

That’s a lot of downloading going on, and if there’s an error, it only fails right at the end, needing a restart.

Any way to pass --needed through to pacman?

Or,
as long as you have access to any Manjaro, with a network connection, why not just:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/unstable-manjaro-architect-beta-testing/?source_topic_id=1355
and/or
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/git-archtect-cli-installer-fork-for-manjaro-development-test/?source_topic_id=1355

i have just added a guide to the wiki for creating a manjaro net install:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Build_Manjaro_Net-Install

5 Likes