How to connect to wifi from tty

I messed up. I was trying to fix problem with nvidia driver on my laptop and ended up in tty.

This happened to me before so i would reinstall drivers with mhwd from tty and i could boot into plasma.

This time however im stuck in tty without wifi and im unable to install drivers. They need to be downloafed again it seems.

I do see that iwlwifi driver is there tho. I tried to modprobe but still nothing.

Is there any way to fix this from tty?
Im in a dire need of help and desperate right now.
Thank you.

1 Like

Check if you can connect via WiFi with nmtui

4 Likes

You can see available connections with:

nmcli device

And then connect to the wifi connection of your choice with:

nmcli device wifi connect <SSID> password <password>

Being <SSID> the wifi id that you get from the previous command and <password> the password for such wifi.

4 Likes

@moson
@cfinnberg
Thank you guys for your help. I have to say that I didnt get to the point to use these commands because before I saw your replies I kinda fixed the problem by deleting the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, rebooted, and it booted to Plasma shell.
It turns out in most cases when it comes to graphics (or rather nvidia) drivers, the reason why you end up in tty without sddm launching or drivers working is misconfigured xorg file which I assume gets automatically created when you install/re-install drivers.
Regardless , thank you for providing the solutions to the actual question I asked and I hope this post will be of help to someone in the future.

2 Likes