How to change audio/sound?

My computer ‘warning’ sound is the same bleeping sound it makes when I enter UEFI/BIOS setup.
It’s annoying because when I search for text on a webpage using firefox (CTRL+ F) and it can’t be found, it bleeps loudly and my colleagues are giving me weird stares :neutral_face:

So is it possible to change it to something normal or turn it off?

You can try blacklisting the pcspkr module as mentioned in the Arch Wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PC_speaker#Disable_PC_Speaker

In a terminal window run the command

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf

Then type blacklist pcspkr and press Ctrl+O and Enter to save the file and Ctrl+X to exit.

Then reboot and see if that worked.

3 Likes

Nice catch, but would there be a way to customize the noise itself though? That would be a most ideal solution for me.

The pcspkr device was designed in 1980, 40 years ago.
The only thing it can do is go BEEP and although there is a way to program it to use a higher or lower frequency, it would just go BEEP at a higher or lower note.

Listen to the fantastic music Tetris used in 1986. (Yup: BLOOP instead of BEEP)

So:

Not really, unless you call going BLOOP instead of BEEP customizing the sound as even a simple Windows Ding sound is way out of its league…¹

:man_shrugging:

I’ve marked the below answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (I just want to avoid even more subjective opinions being posted and confusing you even more)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please mark a solution like this:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

Note 1: The Windows Ding sound was introduced in Windows for WorkGroups 3.11 in 1992…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.