How to Boot on SSD with RPI 4.

Hi,

Have try to sync my SD with my SSD.
Not have see cmdline.txt on /boot.
Im see nothing in /boot.
If you have idea for force boot SSD on rpi 4 ?

Best Regards

You have to boot from an sdcard which has the config.tx and cmdline.txt and many more files.

Move your root partition from the sdcard over to your ssd which should be an ext4 file system.

Modify the cmdline.txt file on your sdcard on the BOOT partition to use your ssd for root:

Change the root= to your ssd:

root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 selinux=0 plymouth.enable=0 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 elevator=noop snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0

To:

root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext4 rw rootwait console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 selinux=0 plymouth.enable=0 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 elevator=noop snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0

Also be advised that if you are using any wireless devices and your ssid plugged into the USB 3.0 port and it is not properly shielded it can cause interference with your wireless transceiver plugged in another usb port. I have a 1 foot usb extension that I have my usb stick plugged into I am using for the root partition here.

When you copy over your root partition to your ssd there will be nothing there in /boot when you try to look at it. When you do get all working and booted up then your /boot partition will be visible.

1 Like

Thank you for your help :smiley:

Forum kindly sponsored by