How to allow the main user mounting disks?

Hi,
I recently migrated from Kubuntu to Manjaro and I really like it. But there are a few things that I don’t like and I haven’t found a solution for.

One is mounting disks.
Already Kubuntu worked differently on USB drives and SATA drives. I do have several hot plug sata bays so for me there is not much of a difference between USB and SATA.
But whenever I want to mount a SATA device it asks for the sudo password. Can I disable this?
thank you very much

As opposed to removable devices - a sata device is connected internally - thus not regarded as a removable device - then requiring root permissons to mount.

That is normal.

Please see → File systems - ArchWiki

There is links in that page to various utilities which can be used to mount on the fly.

1 Like

You could add an entry to /etc/sudoers.d/your_user_name:
your_user_name ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/mount

Though logically you’ll also need another entry for /bin/umount.

But note that if it’s possible for someone else to get access to your computer while you’re logged in this will give them potentially dangerous power.

Look here (the udisks2 first polkit rule)

Create a mount point for each drive in /mnt. Then create an entry in /etc/fstab and add:
/dev/sda# /mnt/whatever uid=1000,gid=1001,umask=000 0 0. Then run mount -a. Also check your uid and gid first with id -u or -g username. Also check umask settings and adjust them to your preferences.
I use this to share my ntfs drives ect… if I missed anything please let me know.

Thank you very much for your ideas. I think I will try the polkit solution.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.