How stable is manjaro?

It really is a tough choice.
I used Code for a while, I do love it - though nowadays I’m leaning more on Kate which is awesome.
I wouldn’t install the Snap to enable Microsoft telemetry however… I’d rather simply keep a note of extensions to install in Joplin (synchronised) and manually update the note from the other devices as I put them on.

No, VSCode is Microsoft software - and he installed the LINUX version… though that still has telemetry. (visual-studio-code-bin, from AUR) but I guess sync is a nice feature.

You can also install ‘code’ which is the Open Source build and will uninstall the other version. It’s also important to keep up to speed with terminal editors so that you’re not left in the dark with no GUI.

2 Likes

no no i dint install the one with telementary, i installed code-OSS, its opensource with no proprietary stuff
my mistake i wrote it vs code

i too never use proprietary software or even snaps until it is a neccessity for some purpose, at present i think i do not have any proprietary stuff on my machine as far as i can remember

2 Likes

I have a PhD in quantum computing/physics, and Manjaro was my daily driver back in university!

1 Like

So I guess you mean it’s stable and unstable? Studying Quantum computing is the easy option, because half the time there’s nothing to learn, right?

Well, that’s what I say the easy way to peoples …

Unless you want to hear I’m a doctor in meta-anti-physics and natural physics :joy:!

So in other words, it anchors you, it’s that stable…

1 Like

So, Manjaro is both stable and unstable at the same time…

1 Like

It’s perfectly stable if it isn’t observed.

2 Likes

Well that’s good. Because I don’t “observe” it, I use it. Much, much, much more…involved…

And there’s an answer to the original question. It’s pretty stable when you’re using it - but not so stable when you’re observing and playing with it… I find KDE compared to Mate and Cinnamon, as well as the older Gnome2 desktop of yore can be easy to mess up and invoke glitches.

1 Like

Like I said originally, as stable as you are…

2 Likes

Plasma and gnome both have new releases so inevitably there’s going to be bugs which is down to the DE not manjaro. But definitely agree cinnamon and mate are "more stable " than kde but like you say all the options in kde give you more chance to break it

1 Like

I can only agree with alot of what’s been said on this thread as I’m a KDE Plasma user myself. It’s down to you, and your needs.

The last comment concerning Cinnamon and Mate desktop environments were an interesting pont of view as I started out with Linux Mint in 2017 and moved on to Manjaro Cinnamon. Mate is, indeed, an option for a slick-easy-to-use-almost-fit-and-forget-utilisation. You can take a peek at Budgie as well amongst The Community Editions, it’s close to Mate as concerns getting out of your way to let you just do your thing.

2 Likes

Yes! Stable enough for me to trust it during intensive delicate labs!

That’s what bothers me most about KDE and why I’ve now come back to the well-worn Xfce. My remaining life time is simply too precious to have to constantly fix something again. Nevertheless: KDE is cool …

1 Like

Definitely feel the same. Just over a week on KDE - beautiful as it is, it does have it’s issues. Xfce is by far the most stable & reliable for any newcomer - I’ll give KDE another month before I move back myself.

1 Like

I spent with interruptions about 3 years with KDE (on various distros, including Arch). There was once a discussion here in the old forum about why Manjaro doesn’t make KDE the default instead of Xfce. Just don’t!!! Rather I would go with GNOME …

1 Like

That’s going too far - it works great for me until I start really messing with it. I simply found Mate and Cinnamon don’t do enough, and I often want to change the way KDE does things.

Like options for LOTS of Non standard shortcuts also mapped to mouse gestures. Sometimes I lose gesture functionality because it’s mapped to a keyboard shortcut that got changed.

Switching to Cinnamon or XFCE is just taking away the stuff I want…

How well does krohnkite work on Cinnamon? Kwin with krohnkite is magic.

XFCE win this game :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: and AMD Only Systems rocking perfectly for Linux