How should I install Manjaro future-proof on a BIOS machine

Hello everyone!
Happy to join the Manjaro community!

Before I make any new topic, id likes to try to reach out for someone in this community for support.

First things first.
I’m having quite a prehistorical PC.
The motherboard is XFX nforce 790i sli that is a 2008 motherboard with the Xeon modified CPU.

So lately I started to look for some options to do a new core look and a bit to increase the performance to my oldie here. I started to look for alternatives and since its tight with the options then I saw the many options of Linux distros.

From my research then I found Manjaro and by comparing the Mint, I understand that Manjaro performs a bit better so my second main question it now…

Im i able to instal and become a full user of Manjaro distro?
As far I understand then the main problem that I will face is the Legacy BIOS issue because the i790 motherboard physically does not have UEFI chip on its board.

If I may, I’m attaching the PC HW screen on how dues my oldie live here…
Please be gentle :slight_smile:
Or could someone post a reply link to Legacy BIOS instal

SPECS:
Mob: nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI (C73) + MCP55P(XE)
CPU: Harpertown SLANR Intel Xeon E5472 LGA771 (FC-LGA8)
BIOS: Microcode 60F at C0 (6.00 PG) 06/25/2008
UEFI BIOS: Not Capable

Thank you in advance.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

Well, a tutorial section is not the right place to ask for support as only the people who have replied on this topic will see your post. Better navigate here: #support and press the New Topic button in the top right corner of the screen there. Please read this before posting there…

3 Likes

for that on any De linux distro
==> boot in bios
==> Format with GPT partition
and keep first partition not formatted 8Mo with flag bios_grub
others should be /boot ( about 1Go ) and see for / and the rest

calamares do that

1 Like

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back to your question after your issue has been solved and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.