How manjaro handle kernels when moving from testing to stable

From manjaro wiki:

How do I go back after changing to one of the testing branches?

Going back to the stable branch is easy. All you have to do is to repeat the above, and use stable as the branch value.

Be aware that after switching to a more stable branch you will receive messages from pacman, informing about newer packages installed than available in the repo. Don't be alarmed as the situation will resolve itself when the packages reaches your current branch.

On testing kernel ix 5.xx
On stable it's 4.xx LTS

What is going on when moving from testing to stable?
System will wait till stabke 5 LTS or it is for me to decide what do do?
After changing branch to stable can I install older LTS kernel or should I wait for 5 LTS/

Basically it is a snapshot of testing packages at a given time which is copied to stable.

version stable from kernel.org are updated in Testing , for any release candidate (rc) as prototype in
Unstable , Testing and Stable ( can be required for new hardware in rc is enough ..)

so if you go Stable to Testing you will have latest "Stable" from kernel.org with few days delayed

But
you had better check list

sudo mhwd-kernel -l 

and add also

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux52  
 sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux414

reboot and press Esc to select in Grub details version of Kernel

1 Like

nothing will break if you change from testing to stable. the 'testing' kernel packages are just newer versions of what will eventually land in stable. they are no different to any other package in that regard. at some point a system transitioned from testing to stable will catch up. It's usually within one or two weeks. Either way, if you are running a non-LTS kernel and it becomes end of life the package manager will warn you of this. that is the point at which you can choose to switch kernels to either an LTS one or the latest 'stable' given at kernel.org.

1 Like

Last question.
If I have "normal" new kernel can I install older LTS version? I assume that I don't need to do this but I would like to know if it is possible and safe.

Absolutely.
You can have a dozen kernels if you like.
Generally I suggest people have at least 1 LTS.
In my case - I keep 4.19 LTS and continually follow latest. I use 5.2 now, but if anything goes wrong 4.19 is still there and supported long-term.
(think of kernels as 'series' .. its not the normal update procedure of 4.19>4.20>5.0 .. you dont have to follow them sequentially, and you are not even encouraged to 'chase' new releases unless you have newer hardware .. as long as it works and isnt EOL then its all fine - hence the LTS)

1 Like