How make an USB Live with Manjaro OpenRC?

Hi there, someone knows how i can make manually an USB Live
with Manjaro OpenRC 0.17.1 ?

Right now i am using “Slackware64 14.2”, but the thing is i ever create an USB with a Partition (For Persistance) well the past week i try do it with Devuan.

First i determinate the “Device” (with fdisk and/or blkid or gparted). for example /dev/sdd

Second using a tool on device for make partitions, with Devuan i just use “868 MB” the second partition (without format) and the rest for the first partition.

Third i use the follow commands in the terminal

#Devuan-Live AMD64
#(Second partition with 868MB for Devuan Live and the rest for the first partition)
#Windows => 7 just can mount the first partition.

mkfs.ntfs -L Persistence /dev/sdh1 ; \
mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n Devuan /dev/sdh2 ; \
dd conv=notrunc bs=440 count=1 if=/usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdh ; \
parted /dev/sdh set 2 boot on ; \
parted /dev/sdh set 1 palo on ; \
mkdir -p /tmp/usbp2 ; \
mkdir -p /tmp/LinuxISO ; \
mount /dev/sdh2 /tmp/usbp2 ; \
mount "devuan_jessie_1.0.0_amd64_desktop-live.iso" "/tmp/LinuxISO" -o loop ; \
cd "/tmp/LinuxISO/" ; \
cp -rf "live" "/tmp/usbp2/" ; \
cp -rf "isolinux" "/tmp/usbp2/syslinux" ; \
cd "/tmp/usbp2/syslinux" ; \
mv "isolinux.cfg" "syslinux.cfg" ; \
mv "isolinux.bin" "syslinux.bin" ; \
sed '/path/d' syslinux.cfg >> /tmp/syslinux2.cfg ; \
cat /tmp/syslinux2.cfg | sed 's/vesamenu.c32/live/g' >> /tmp/syslinux3.cfg ; \
cat /tmp/syslinux3.cfg | sed 's/ui gfxboot bootlogo//g' >> /tmp/syslinux4.cfg ; \
rm syslinux.cfg ; \
mv "/tmp/syslinux4.cfg" "syslinux.cfg" ; \
rm /tmp/syslinux*.cfg ; \
sed -i -e 's/isolinux/syslinux/g' syslinux.cfg ; \
sed -i '/endtext/d' syslinux.cfg ; \
cd ; umount /tmp/usbp2 ; umount /tmp/LinuxISO ; \
syslinux /dev/sdh2

And ready i can use a Devuan Live USB.

But with Manjaro OpenRC ISO, i notice syslinux is not used, is GRUB2 instead.

Someone can explain me how i can install without error for boot the USB Live with persistence (Second Partition on USB) with an Specific Language ???

I prefer this manual method because the lot of tools i try like: multisystem, multiusb, unetbootin, image-writer, etcher, etc . . . evers fails

rufus (fail sometimes), but the problem with rufus i can’t create the persistance partition, because do something weird, and gparted just detect the pendrive, like an 4MB Device.

If you want to use persistence with manjaro isos, you first need to create an custom iso with persistence support enabled. You can do this with manjaro-tools.

Once you have the custom iso, you need to figure out how to use it. I have no idea how to do this. Manjaro-tools developer @artoo probably knows, but he is difficult to get in touch with nowadays.

Once you figure out how to use persistence, there is a chance that it might not work, because the option is mostly untested.

Instead of making a persistent iso, I recommend doing a normal installation on USB drive. Manjaro-architect has excellent support for this, and you can choose openrc with almost any manjaro desktop (lxqt, kde and i3 probably work best with openrc).

This might also be interesting for you: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multiboot_USB_drive#Using_GRUB_and_loopback_devices

You can install grub the USB drive and use that to boot the iso. This gives you more flexibility with kernel parameters (setting language and keymap, for example), and let’s you use the remaining space on the thumb drive for storage. No persistence though.

Grub entry to boot manjaro isos can be found here: Booting Manjaro iso using grub2

We can also use this to make a bootable usb. And this will boot both liveiso or an OS in that usb. I had a few usb’s that I use this way. Started when I was travelling much. But Manjaro (installed not livecd) OS needs graphic cards to be compatible (or use vesa); Ubuntu/Debian can be carried through different graphic cards. One usb I use this way is only 2 GB. Long ago I used one usb of 64 MB; besides a browser, it had a media player. But mainly to contact home office.

I still carry around a usb when travelling on holidays. Many hotel rooms provide a computer.
Oh… casper (Ubuntu) has persistence.

1 Like

Porteus Nemesis seems quite active still fortunately http://forum.porteus.org/viewforum.php?f=137
How is going, @istinnjazz, @francois.e?

Thank you very much to all for the fastest answer to possible solutions :smiley:

Well this 8GB USB, i just use exclusive for Job on Offices
I prefer Live + Persistence.

But i am thinking right now if ISO Live + Persistence to put on USB
or Install manjaro and purge things i really don’t use on an office

(well the OpenRC Edition don’t have a “minimal graphical” (something like Base System + Xorg for example, i am trying to do something like this with Slackware64 14.2 xD) because install a lot of packages i really never use)

Or make the installation on USB, and encrypt it with “luks” making partitions :

“boot” in “fat32” (Obviously this not encrypted)
“ManjarORC” in btrfs, and “home” in “xfs”

For example, but i thinking i do something one of this two things this week.

Well thank you very much for your answers :smiley:

For the OP,

You did all this in Devuan and you didn’t use refractsnapshot instead?
It took less than dd if ==> of would have taken and produced a live
bootable iso of everything I wanted to have in it and excluded everything
I did not need to have.

I am still in shock on how well this gizmo works.

Yes i did this with Devuan, and not use refracta
I prefer knows and practice manuals methods for learn more and comprehend was i am doing exactly or what do programs for make something works.

Because if i need shrink to adapt better to especific necesity i can do it :smiley:

For example if i want make an Slackware 11.0 Live USB with Persistance using just Base System + inetd + Xorg + tint2 + evilwm + Abiword + Gnumeric + builds tools + medit + midori web browser + moc + mpd + ncmpcpp + sdl1.2 + sdl2 + liballegro + libguichan + timidity + fluidsynth + soundfonts.

Just to have a minimalist interface to use office document, use multimedia players, build and make binaries executables from source code, with more compatiblities, extract that binary executable and use in environtment similar but just System Base + Xorg + xterm , for determinare the libraries used by the executable, and put all on the same directory structure, for can use that binary executable on any GNU/Linux distribution.

Using old and very stable software, for me is better for compatibility.

1 Like

I know what you mean. I had a motobike with a single headlight and tailight as only accessories. Butt hurt after 40’ in a straight line. Eventually I got something 80% heavier with bells and whistles, a nice seat and a tailbag I can shove everything in. Knowing that I can still ride the beast I wouldn’t use it in
long trips anymore.

You can mature without ever getting old.
If the damn knee would go way up there in that peg :slight_smile:

Thanks for the Link, for make it booteable is very ease just mount to point copy the ISO content to USB , and after install the grub

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --boot-directory="/mount/point/usb/boot" /dev/sdh

And that all for put GRUB, and obviusly put the “boot” flag with any tool of make partitions like cfdisk or gparted.

1 Like

Ok, it may be easy when you have the iso, but how do you make the iso?
Do you use xorriso? I tried to learn how to use this once or twice but gave up, there
was always something little in the details that I couldn’t rely on it being used reliably.
What’s the use of making backups if they are not reliable. Utilizing my time away from the workstation to use dd/bzip2 backing up partitions feels much safer.
But bootable usb/dvd copies of the system are not exactly live images. IOW if you have a 2 core Amd with Amd graphics and a 4core intel with eNvidia, you need a live image with
plenty of firmware not an installation of other systems. I think, I may have misunderstood what it is you are proposing.

I dont know “xorriso” tool yet, i am installing right now

My hardware is old is the follow :

Motherboard : ASUSTeK | Model : M2N68-AM SE2
SBES : American Megatrends | Version : 1409

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ | Cache : 2 MB
Processor : Family : k8 | Cores : 2 , Max Speed Clocks : 3 GHz

Ram : 3,00 GB | Quantity : 2 (1=1GB y 1=2GB)
Ram : Type : DDR2 | Bus : 800 Mhz | CL : Unknow

GPU -> Nvidia | Bus : 64 Bit | Capacity : 128 MB
GPU -> Driver : nvidia | OpenGL : 2.1.2
GPU -> Model : GeForce 6200 TurboCache/PCIe/SSE2
GPU -> Pixel Shaders : 3.0 | Vertex Shaders : 3.0

and well i ever use GNU/Linux for Gaming :D, i use GNU/Linux from 1998, and in 2004 i start to use videogames in this system :smiley: and ever i enjoy it :smiley:

You keep studying those xorriso scripts, I will keep clicking on my refracta

I am sure the AUR community will manage to include it soon.
But you can use a minimal devuan (ie. vuu-do openbox) installation to refracta-ize your Manjaro builds.

My hw is equally fresh, not AMD (at the price I got it) and no nvdia, plain jane intel) I am beating you by 1G on Ram but you are a few mhz faster :slight_smile:

At the price of a generic tablet I think we have supercomputers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark