How does one configure Manjaro in such a way that EACH & EVERY piece of software offered for upgrade is a stable version (not bleeding edge)?

My Manjaro install is 7 years old and works fine. Would you call it stable? However, if not my maintenance and fixing things from time to time, it wouldn’t survive that long. So it’s the user that makes the installation stable, not the other way around, at least on rolling systems.
@Mirdarthos gave you good tips.

4 Likes

Take regular backups with timeshift/backup tool of choice, theres hooks to backup automatically anytime you run a system update. Read the announcement thread before you run any system updates making note of any potential user involvement needed and your system will be stable and cause you no problems

4 Likes

Mainly you decide at the time you install your software.

Avoid GIT where you can, IF you can.
When installing something, avoid the ‘Fresh’ version and opt for ‘Stable’. Then it will only update when the Stable version is updated.

For software that you need to build (if you install things from AUR) then they might fail after an update until you rebuild them. It’s not a big issue, but it might take a few minutes if something (guayadeque music player, for example) won’t work after an update.

Generally, though, I have to say that Manjaro stability has been fine for quite some time - and with KDE, make sure you keep your regular daily snapshots running because you can customise it to fit your needs a great deal… but it can break. Then your stability is the few minutes it takes to restore your snapshot.

2 Likes