How do you feel about Fedora?

Manjaro was upsetting me and so I wanted to spin up Fedora and give it a whirl while me and Manjaro are in a “it’s complicated” relationship.

Anyone who uses or has used, what were your thoughts? Comparison to Manjaro for you?

To note, I started Manjaro with KDE, but then switched to Gnome because I’m a keyboard user and I love hotkeys. Gnome seemed to meet that need a little better than KDE’s workflow. So with Fedora I’m speaking of Gnome.

Fedora is ok. Be sure to check this https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F29_bugs

Well that’s pretty scary haha.

I run three Fedora machines. One is my Server (Headless) love it, problem free. I tend to update after my other machines, just in case, but nothing so far. Migrated on that one 2 months ago before that it was Centos 7.

Fedora 29 Workstation on my primary business laptop and development workstation (desktop). I first installed Fedora 28 on my laptop about 4 months ago. Problem free experience, moved to Fedora 29 a day after it was available (upgrade in place). The upgrade was very smooth, and Fedora 29 has been completely stable. I switched my desktop from Manjaro to Fedora 29 about a month ago, since I wanted greater similarity between my mobile daily driver, and my office daily driver. It has been running flawlessly. Can I recommend Fedora, absolutely. In the past the answer would have been no, because it was a mess, however since around Fedora 24 everything has begun to gel and Fedora 28 was the first release I felt met the threshold of quality where I was willing to try it out as a daily driver. Very happy I did.

I still use Manjaro on three machines, and test it regularly, but my business machines are no longer runing Manjaro and it is working out well. My needs changed, and an Archlinux base was no longer the ideal solution. I do have one piece of advice if you choose to use Fedora always add SELinux to the top of your list when troubleshooting issues. Make sure you have SELinux Troubleshooter installed, and set it up to give you notifications. Also on Fedora Workstation the firewall defaults to a lot of open ports since it assumes you are working in a trusted environment. Make sure you have Firewalld installed and configure your firewalls appropriately for your security stance, partcularly on mobile devices. If you have any questions while setting up Fedora feel free to PM me, their forums are not very active so you may have trouble finding what you are looking for, but their documentation is pretty decent, however the Archwiki is still my friend.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Fedora is very vanilla, but I prefer it that way. The installer is also much more mature, and handles lvm installs and encrypted installs with greater ease, but all in all it does take some getting used to.

I’d say they are the leading edge linux distro atm.
I mean, maybe not as for “version number” of its packages, but as for overall features… Hell if they don’t.

They were among the first to fix and properly implement secure boot, wayland, and now they added flicker-free boot.
Plus they are employing Hans ■■■■■■■ de Goede.

Maybe they haven’t the AUR, but at least their build scripts aren’t utter sanskrit garbage like debian ones.

Sometimes I forget Fedora is not rolling. I get daily updates and packages don’t lag behind Arch or Manjaro for very long. The only time it becomes notcieable is about a month before the next release of Fedora.

Yes, the secure boot, flicker free boot, easy drive encyrption, lvm out of the box are very nice. Anaconda has come a long way from the first time I used it.

Don’t need the AUR, between Rpmfusion free and nonfree repos, and the fact that if a project packages for linux it is very likely to be in .rpm or .deb format makes a world of difference. Not having to extract my Brother printer drivers was a huge bonus for me.

At work I’m using Fedora on a Lenovo Thinkpad T470p and in my opinion it is very well to work with that OS.
Generally, Fedora has its focus on functionality and establishing techniques to make the distributions more advanced (e.g. flicker-free booting that Manjaro also uses since v18.0 or the Silverblue approach with modularizing packages) rather than supplying some kind of “eye candy” designs/themes.

Despite not using a rolling release model like Manjaro, it still provides relatively current software packages and I never had any issues making updates with Fedora. Even firmware updates are working quite good.

If I had to make a top 3 list of my recommended Linux distributions, I would say:

3.) Ubuntu (for beginners)
2.) Fedora
1.) Manjaro

Anything involving Nvidia and G-sync I should be aware of? I know Manjaro uses X as default for Gnome, which is probably a good thing as it seems Wayland is still leaving a lot to be desired. I also try to use non-free drivers as well which I got from the fusion repo.

Are there any weird things like there are with Kwin about it not picking up the correct monitor refresh rate?

I use an AMD Gpu, and pretty much stay away from Nvidia in all things, but to my knowledge there are no Nvidia issues on Fedora that you would not have anywhere else (hybrid graphics). I usually run a xorg session because Wayland is still not ready, primarily because the applications out there are not wayland ready, so you regularly run into annoyances because something in an app does not work because well Wayland. So I stick to xorg for maximum compatibility (yes xwayland I know, but it does not make features that wayland does not have magically work in wayland).

Normally, I stay away from topics like this (feelings, preferences - except cheesecake); but I have to say I detest anything that makes things complicated for the sake of complication. I can understand the need of complexity if the intention is to make things simpler for the user. I can accept even if the ‘complexity is not worth the simplicity’.

But it appears to me that fedora is trying hard to be complicated for its commercial support revenue.

For example, if swap uuid is changed in any other distro, all we need to do is to change it at fstab. In fedora, a ’ dracut -f’ won’t suffice. And talking about ’ flicker free’ grub, a standard upstream grub with one modification can do the job without unnecessary reengineering. And what’s this thing about Linux.efi and linux16?

Ah… I shall stop here.
I take leave of this topic.

Might hold water if it were not a completley open project.

linux16 is for BIOS installs.

Normally I deem it bad manners not to respond. So my apologies for not responding. Wait… I am responding? :grin:

I have answers to your posts. But I defer.
Cheers.

so bitching about other forums is allowed here? it certainly shouldn’t be :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Does fedora have upgrade path? I tried ro stay away from fedora at all cost because its update stop after 6 month and then you had to reinstall.

If it’s still like this then I wouldn’t touch it.

yes, using a plugin for it’s package manager

Yes it does have an upgrade path built into dnf the package manager. The process is all of 3 or 4 commands, and takes maybe 10 minutes on a reasonably fast connection.

Finally, I will give it a go :slight_smile:

try it in VM for a while first if you are going to give it a go so you don’t screw up any other installed operating systems in the process