LVM or Bcache setup

I am new to using Manjaro Linux. I made the switch after using Ubuntu in a developer environment for school and used Windows to play video games. I have noticed the huge advancements in Linux gaming and I decided to test it out.
I have attempted to use LVM from this guide ‘5.4.7. Creating LVM Cache Logical Volumes’. I found that guide on a redhat post. The issue with LVM is that when I attempt the first step being
'# pvcreate /dev/sde1

pvcreate /dev/sdf1

vgcreate VG /dev/sde1 /dev/sdf1

I am returned with this
“Can’t open /dev/sdb5 exclusively. Mounted filesystem?”

I also attempted to use bcache. While it seemed like I just forgot to install all the tools, but when I attempt to reinstall any of the git clones it states the destination paths exist already.
When I try to use make-bcache -B /dev/sda4 -C /dev/sdb5 My terminal spits out “bash: make-bcache: command not found”.
Am I just grazing over something on either of these tools or maybe treat me like I am 5 guides to either of them. If you can pass along any knowledge I please ask you for it and I appreciate it! I would like to use ssd caching. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Ipaid4linux

This is wrong. You need to supply the name of a volume group, not the device special files of partitions. See the man page.

I’m afraid concepts like these cannot be explained to five-year-olds. This is very heavy low-level stuff, and it’s not something you should be messing with as a newbie. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I mean I have a basic concept on using computers and even took a sysadmin class were we used UNIX. I just am more confused when I read the page and something doesn’t work and i just am looking for an explanation that i guess directs you a little more. :thinking:
Also what is the easiest way to see a volume name or can a set the logical volume name?

man lvdisplay
man lvs

There are several tutorials online with regard to lvm2

Linux Admin - Volume Management - Tutorialspoint

And that’s just the beginning. :wink: