How do I replace an installation?

Okay, that’s looking good. :wink:

Wish me luck…

:crossed_fingers:

it’s runningg…
What a rush…

it just scrzeamed that the filesystem is not responding possibly because of the readonly cd vdvd

restarting…

This could be indicative of your optical drive needing replacement. They do wear out over time, and especially if you are a smoker.

Another possibility, which may also impede the proper functioning of the optical drive, is if your power supply isn’t providing enough juice anymore. Some power supplies ─ most notably on older computers ─ had bad capacitors in them and would start losing voltage over time.

The above all said, you mentioned in your opening post that you had had a crash. If this crash was due to a hardware failure, then that deserves investigating. Computers contain many components that could malfunction ─ e.g. overheating due to dust in the fans, a failing power supply, bad memory modules, a failing HDD/SSD…

it’s all there…
Wow?!?
2021-01-27-215740

Well, possibly. What I noticed on the update (I always update in the consiole) was that the mhwd was startedd up and it seemed to replace the nvidia drivers witht he nouveau…then it did the update…
The rest…well, you guessed…
Edit - ow, I love this! I just put back my thunderbird folder…mail is backl…
YOU…are wonderfull!!!
you’re my hero!!!

Well, if the issue is resolved, could you then select the post you found most helpful and mark it as the solution, please? This will add a summary of the post to your opening post, just in case a newbie were to stumble upon the same issue. Or at least, if they were to use the search function of the forum, which ─ alas ─ most don’t seem to want to bother with. :wink:

2 Likes

I meant rather user deleting /home by accident during installation (by leaving default option to format it), and so on. This is far more likely to happen comparing to Xfce or KDE not liking to reuse it’s profile and configs in existing /home.

Well, that did’nt work, xinitrc is owned by KDE and it will not share…
I may need to reinstall the whole thing…

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.