How do I program the function keys in Manjaro xfce?

I suspect this is an easy one, a ‘stupid question’ if you will, but I’m a new to Manjaro, and Linux in general, so help a noob out, alright?

How do I program the function keys to do the following functions, preferably without having to simultaneously press the Ctrl or Alt keys?

F10 Increase Volume
F9 Decrease Volume
F8 Mute
F7 Increase Brightness
F6 Decrease Brightness
F5 Screenshot
F4 Fullscreen
F3 Turn WiFi on/off
F2 Go forward
F1 Go back

Noob-friendly step-by-step instructions would be ideal, but any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

System settings → Keyboard → Shortcuts

Does the Keyboard Settings screen not allow that?

Also, by any chance, would those actions be already “set” on your keyboard as multimedia keys? If so, you should select the relevant layout model.

To linux-aarhus,

the keyboard system settings may allow for assigning functions to keys F1-F12, but I am a noob. I do not know what to type in the command box in order to cause the volume to increase when I press F10, to cause the volume to decrease when I press F9, to cause the WiFi to turn on (or off when the WiFI is already on) when I press F3, etc. That it what I need help with.

Any help with what needs to be typed in the command box would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

To maycne.sonahoz,

keyboard settings may allow that, but I am a noob. I do not know what to type in the command box in order to cause the volume to increase when I press F10, to cause the volume to decrease when I press F9, to cause the WiFi to turn on (or off) when I press F3, etc. That it what I need help with.

A web search for “Dell Chromebook 3180 keyboard” will produce a picture of my keyboard layout. It’s not exactly what I want, for example, screenshot and WiFi on/off are more valuable to me than backward, forward, and refresh, but getting this keyboard layout would be a massive step in the right direction.

I cannot find the relevant layout model. Any help in finding the relevant keyboard layout would be greatly appreciated.

Technically, commands are actually program calls (with relevant options). So most of the functions you seek should be available, though i don’t know those right now.
This also means that a few ones – Go back, Go forwards and Fullscreen – are rather application behaviors, and thus depend on the application used in. So i don’t think you can set those shortcuts this way. In those case, using xmodmap or xbindkeys may work instead.

Have you tried the Chromebook and all Dell layouts?

1 Like

If these work on a command line, you can use these for the three volume keys:

amixer set Master toggle
amixer set Master 3%+ unmute
amixer set Master 3%- unmute

I installed xorg-xbacklight, which then let me dim or brighten the screen with these commands:

xbacklight -inc 5
xbacklight -dec 5

I used the following github code to enable my Chromebook’s picture keys. However, this had a drawback in that the Function keys were disabled - if that should matter.

You’ll find other details about the XF86 keys on the archlinux wiki.

2 Likes

Hi, I have the same problem as OP. Perhaps I can be more clear. From the keyboard settings menu (application shortcuts tab) I wish to assign “volume up” or "sound up’’, “mute/unmute” and "volume down to the F1 F2 and F3 respectively as those keys have little volume control pictographs but as of installing Manjaro, they do not work.
I think the question we both have is what do we type into the editbox for mute/unmute specifically to assign that function to F1, Volume up (to assign F3key) and volume down for F2?
Some of these commands we already know such as copy and paste etc. what are the commands for sound control so that we can make these edits?
Thanks

The above suggestion doesn’t work?

1 Like

Yes, that did work. Thankyou for redirecting my attention as I had misread the first time. So what would be the command for setting the keyboard backlight bright/dim, and lastly the media player functions rewind, play/pause, fastforward?
Thanks

This was very helpful however I dont have xbacklight my computer informs me upon trying to function key my screen brighter. Upon installing it notifies me of a conlict with Kvantum which will be removed. Is this appropriate or can Kvantum adjust the backlight with its own set of commands? how would I set the keys? Or should I uninstall Kvantum and go with xbacklight?