How do I install VS Code?

Hello, I am new to Manjaro and don’t understand a lot of things. I wanted to install the VS Code. But I came across a number of problems that I couldn’t find a solution to. So I am asking for help from the community.
In /etc/pacman.conf I added

[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = link to: repo archlinux fr / arm

But when I run sudo pacman -Syy debug I get the following output:

fferror: failed retrieving file 'archlinuxfrdb’ from repoarchlinux*fr : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to synchronize all databases (failed to retrieve some files)

I would be grateful for any information on how to solve this problem

Hello @Green_Dad ,
sudo pacman -Syu code
source: https://linuxnightly.com/install-visual-studio-code-on-manjaro/

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

Which problems? Please be verbose.

Don’t Do That!™

Seriously, don’t. Manjaro is a curated rolling-release distribution, while Arch is not. This means that you would be pulling in packages which are too far ahead of the official Manjaro packages.

vscode is proprietary software. You can install code from the repository, or vscodium from the AUR — it’s a Free & Open Source Software clone of vscode, although many others exist as well.

Alternatively, if you are using the Plasma desktop environment, then you can use kate — see the screenshot below — which should already come preinstalled in Plasma, and which offers all of the same functionality, albeit with a perhaps somewhat different methodology.

Furthermore, it is not clear whether you are using an x86-64 machine or an aarch64 (ARM) machine. There might be differences on account of what software is available.

1 Like

Please, then, take note of:

And:

2 Likes

Thanks for useful articles

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.