How do I install Kodi media player in Manjaro-Arm_Mate_rpi2_18.05?

mate
kodi

I tried VLC media player in MJ-Arm-Mate, but it was too laggy when playing videos. Previously, I had an excellent experience with Kodi media player, when using Raspbian, and so now want to install it in MJ-Arm. Only Kodi-platform, not _Kodi, is available in the MJ-arm repository, and when I try to install Kodi-platform it says it depends on the “Kodi target” which it can’t find.

Also is it possible to install Yaourt-Gui in MJ-Arm-Mate? I can access the AUR repository using the yaourt command, but quite like the gui version

Many thanks for any help with this - much appreciated.

@Strit
You’ve done a great job with the Arm project - many thanks - I’m really glad it’s back :sunglasses:
It looks really smart with its dark theme :slight_smile:

There are packages for each platform for kodi, but non of them are in the Manjaro ARM repo at this time, since we don’t have an edition that makes use of them.
Since we have no way of supporting Kodi on this platform, we left it out.
I can however add it to the repo fairly quickly, but we can’t support it.

Ofcourse. It’s in the AUR and works on any architecture.

Thank @GrayJack for that one. He’s the one doing the MATE edition.
I just make sure the infrastructure is there, and create the minimal images.

@Strit: many thanks for your detailed reply - much appreciated.

Given that Kodi isn’t available, and VLC doesn’t work smoothly with the Raspberry Pi3, can you recommend a media player for playing videos with MJ-arm-mate?

That would be great if you could do that - it doesn’t matter if it’s not supported. I just need something to play the videos through our TV. At the moment, that’s all I really use the Pi3 for.

Well, I often just use MPV or SMPlayer.

But the raspberry pi is not a great video player for HD content.

For kodi-rbp on my alarm setup I use in

/boot/config.txt

gpu_mem=256

maybe it helps for other players

Could be. But we don’t have kodi-rbp in our repo yet. :slight_smile:

Kodi for Raspberry Pi, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2 and Odroid-XU4 should appear in the rpo over the next few hours.

I’m not sure I’ve gotten all the dependencies though, so let me know if something it needs does ot exist.

Yesterday evening I tried MPV, both with and without the Gnome addition.
Video is fine, just no audio through the TV - it seems to be running on “dummy output”.

I was also able to simply run the videos by selecting the browser as the ‘media player’ (first time I have done this and it works really well, using either firefox or chromium). Again, the video was fine but no audio through the TV.

Audio through HDMI on the raspberry pi often needs a little tweak.
I’ve seen that adding:
dtparam=audio=on
to the /boot/config.txt and reboot, has worked for some.

I went into the /boot/config.txt_ file and altered dtparam=audio=off to dtparam=audio=on, but there was no change - still without audio:

######################################################
##  Base Device Tree Parameters
######################################################

## audio
##     Enable the onboard ALSA audio
##
##     Default off.
##
#dtparam=audio=on

You also need to uncomment it.
So instead of:
#dtparam=audio=on
It should be:
dtparam=audio=on

Many thanks Strit. I uncommented it and now have sound but it “crackles” (cuts out momentarily in a continuous fashion, either in MPV player or the web browser, Chromium).

I notiice that MJ-Arm really struggles to play videos on my Pi3, as the red thermometer icon pops up on the screen within 2 minutes of starting a video, in either MPV or the browser. MJ-Arm is installed on a SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC card, 95MB/s. In contrast to MJ-Arm, Raspbian works very well with this SD-card.

I think I might return to Raspbian as this plays videos without any difficulty.
Many thanks for your help Strit, but on this occasion I think I’ll have to return to the Raspbian OS. Needles to say, it’s been a learning curve for me. However, I’d like to return to the MJ-Arm project from time to time to see developments.

Was there a reason Mate was chosen over Xfce for the Pi desktop? I would have thought that Xfce had the edge for speed/responsiveness …

With the Pi, booting normally occurs from an SD-card. Can booting be carried out from an SSD drive, plugged into one of the USB3.0 ports - it occurred to me that, if this was possible, MJ-Arm might run faster, given the higher speeds of SSDs over SD-cards.

Just a few comments:

1. I struggled for a few days to get sound working on the RPi3 when I got it a few months ago (Arch + Enlightenment + ALSA only). Apart from the change to /boot/config.txt mentioned above, what got it working was:
    amixer cset numid=3 1 for the jack or amixer cset numid=3 2 for HDMI.
    This worked and the sound quality was great. Then I installed pulseaudio (needed by firefox) and the sound deteriorated to what you now describe. Removing pulseaudio restored the sound quality (and then replacing firefox with chromium). I may be wrong but this is what I observed.

2. You should try using hardware acceleration. This could relieve the stress on the CPU so that it does not get so hot plus some other obvious benefits. To do this, you need to add/change in /boot/config.txt :

gpu_mem=64
framebuffer_depth=32
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

This may or may not change the way in which your bootup process appears.
Goto Arch wiki to enable hardware acceleration in chromium.

1. According to https://forum.manjaro.org/t/ram-consumption-of-different-manjaro-editions/41133 there is little difference between Mate and XFCE. It would be interesting to know how MJ-Arm-Mate performs. Install ps_mem and follow the instructions in the first post. (My MJ-Arm-Enlightenment uses 133 MiB.)

2. As far as I know, the RPi3 only has USB2 and not any USB3 ports. Not all SD-cards are the same regarding speed (and cost) so you might be able to gain some speed here.

MATE edition actually has a maintainer. Was no maintainer wanting to do XFCE.

I’m not sure this is possible, but @grayjack has been working on getting Manjaro ARM to boot from a USB stick. Maybe he knows?

This mainly applies to the default x64 editions. Xfce desktop can go much lighter than that, as can mate. Those results don’t apply to whatever is done in Manjaro arm

I agree. That is why I also said:

Apart from MJ-Arm code being about 3/4 of MJ-x64 code (thumb suck), I think that the trend between similar Mate and XFCE installations (in the sense of default MJ-x64) would be the same for similar MJ-Arm installations.

It is very similar, if I should wager a guess.

XFCE on Manjaro-ARM is using the Arch Linux ARM packages, which is built from the same PKGBUILD’s as Arch Linux x64 XFCE.
MATE on Manjaro-ARM is the same.

Manjaro x64 does build some xfce packages themselves, to include some special patches.
We haven’t done this yet.
And I don’t think they do so far MATE.

Yes, it’s possible to boot from the USB, as long you have a RPI3 or later. It’s not enabled by default, but can be enabled by a special configuration option on /boot/config.txt.

But be aware that RPI3 and RPI3+ still have USB2, so you will be limited by USB2 speeds.

I love the dark theme in Manjaro-Arm - many thanks for this - Strit mentioned it was your great work :sunglasses:

Just for the record, for anyone else reading this, I found the link for the modification needed in /boot/config.txt to allow booting from the USB:

Another source of information on this at:

Cheers
Mike