How do I get unmounted USB-stick to show in Dolphin?

In other linux distros I’ve tried USB-sticks pop up in the file manager and desktop and you can choose to mount them if they’re not set to mount automatically.
How do I do this with Manjaro and Dolphin?

The sticks show up in ‘Info Centre - USB Devices’. But not anywhere else it seems, including Desktop, Dolphin, KDE Partition manager, and ‘Removable Devices’ under System Settings (where I’ve also tried set it to automount devices).
Bootable USB-sticks boot on the PC so it’s not a BIOS-thing.

I see the stick I installed Manjaro from is under Disconnected Devices in System settings, but I have unfortunately lost that one so I can’t test to see if that gets recognised and mounted.

All tested sticks have been confirmed working on another system.

I’ve also tried

Unplug your usb drive, and run the command lsusb. Note the results. Now insert the usb drive and run the command again, compare those results. Report back here.

1 Like

Unplugged (with ID removed):
Bus 004 Device 001: ID Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID Synaptics, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID Luxvisions HD Camera
Bus 001 Device 005: ID Intel Corp. AX201 Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 001: ID Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Plugged in:
Bus 004 Device 001: ID Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 008: ID Kingston Technology DataTraveler 100 G3/G4/SE9 G2/50
Bus 002 Device 001: ID Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID Synaptics, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID Luxvisions HD Camera
Bus 001 Device 005: ID Intel Corp. AX201 Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 001: ID Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

By the way, I found the USB-stick that was saved under Disconnected Devices, and it was still shown as disconnected when plugged in.

Sorry about not responding sooner, we have some weather issues here in California. Anyway, your device “Kingston Technology DataTraveler 100 G3/G4/SE9 G2/50” is detected. Now check in your Task Manger for the “Disks and Devices” app (maybe it’s hidden) and see if it’s there. Click the “Mount and Open” if it’s shown. You can also right click on it and change some settings if need be. If that app is not available, try (re)installing it by editing the panel. Lastly you can try mounting it manually, but you shouldn’t have to do that with Plasma https://linuxconfig.org/howto-mount-usb-drive-in-linux is one site that explains how.

1 Like

If you wrote the image using etcher or rufus - perhaps something similar - the filesystem is ISO9660 - a writeprotected CDROM.

To be able to use the stick you need to reformat it.

Then you will be able to access the stick as you expect and the System SettingsRemovable StorageRemovable Devices - selection should work as expected.

1 Like

I gave up and turned off the computer, booting it today to give it a new try and check this thread, it just works, it finds them directly.

So perhaps just a simple reboot was the solution, some bugged out process last boot, even though I’m fairly sure I rebooted several times the other day to check bios. But might remember wrong.
Nevertheless, it works. And they are shown in Dolphin by default for me as I wished.

Thanks for your efforts and time @fbt89 and @linux-aarhus