How do I get familiar with my system?

Hello! I am new to both using GNU/Linux and Manjaro. I was wondering if there are any things I can do to get more familiar with my system and how to use it more effectively. I would love to get the most out of my OS, so any responses to my question would be greatly appreciated!

the linux foundation runs a free linux101 course through edx. i haven’t taken it myself; keep meaning to.

Thank you very much, Steanne! This seems like a very nice resource and I am excited to dive right in.

Make mistakes - it is the only way to learn.

Keep regular backups :smiley:

Read a lot. When using Manjaro read the Manjaro User guide which can be found in your menu. (for KDE in Utilities --> Manjaro User guide)
Go to the wiki page:
Come here in the forum and search for subjects you want to know more about

As others have stated also, just do it but make sure you have backups of your data and maybe also from your OS. When you screw up, and you will, it’s easy to restore the backup and start over in a couple of minutes.
But mostly: just have fun.

Aervec@ Hello and welcome to the forums. Learning how to get the most out of your Linux system / Manjaro requires time and patience. The best way to learn the system is to explore what’s installed

Manjaro has some great documentation on how to use Manjaro you might want to start there also

There are so many great videos on Youtube that will explain some of the features that Manjaro has to offer. you’re already ahead just by asking this simple question.

Best of luck using Manjaro it’s a great OS

Use every setting, run every application, break things, fix things…

Read these forums, every topic, every day…

…and Don’t Panic! :smiley:

Remember that there is no such thing as Magic. There is always a reason for everything, and sometimes that reason is more complicated than you’d care to know. Just always keep in mind that there is a reason everything behaves the way it does…

This clearly depends on what exactly you want to do with your system …
General Purpose (= a bit of everything)?

Generally, I always recommend to have more than one Linux installed on the box, ie. have (at least) two partitions for Linux root partitions one swap partition (for systems < 8 GB RAM) and the rest of the HD for /home. This has the great advantage that you can “play around” on one Linux install and have another one where you act more conservative to keep it as a working horse.

Yeah, yeah, yeah…

I dunno how long you been using PCs, but they–all of 'em–take things personally. There IS Magic in Linux, but first you must bend yer will…

@Aervec, when you enter the Magic stage, you will notice that your thinking processes change.

• You feel a new sense of freedom–and–responsibility.
  • No longer is someone else in-charge of your computer.
  • You, and only you, now determine your fate.
  • You are in charge of The Great Computer.
  • You may feel naked at first, blowing in the wind, but fear not!
  • We are here. We have been where you are.
  • We will help you.
  • You are no longer alone.

And–if you break it, you fix it. We’ll be the ones comin’ to you for help. :smiley:

Depends on what you mean by magic. When I first installed arch linux with my friend, it was all arcane incantations and magic formulas for me. And when I first installed manjaro, I repeated the same exact procedure three times. Twice it failed, but third time it just worked, who knows why.

When you get more familiar with the system, those things that seemed to be like magic become mundane and understandable. You’ll understand the eldritch warnings and error messages, you’ll know which daemons to slay and where each file type resides. You’ll learn how to contact the developers themselves and file coherent bug reports. When system breaks, you know why it did and where to look for answers. For a wizard, magic is not magical the same way it is to uninitiated. It is no longer exciting and unfamiliar, but comfortable and homelike.

And yet, some magic always remains. Some things still seem random, or working with certain likelihood instead of certainty. Some things work even though you don’t know why.

However, one specific type of magic seems to be absent in linux. You know how when people ask for help with their windows, and when you do the exact same thing they did, it suddenly works? Aka the magic touch of it person? That seems to be very rare in linux, while it is extremely common on windows…

@Aervec my best learning experiences have been

• setting up a custom bspwm desktop from scratch. This teaches you what your desktop actually does for you, and many other things
  • learning bash scripting by modifying some existing scripts (risky, approach with caution)
  • breaking my system and fixing it.

Maybe it is gone now–I don’t think so–but you are describing my first experience hand-installing nVidia drivers in SuSE way-back-when. Someone in the forums (SuSE’s) wrote a procedure that we all needed to follow, and it worked.

There was a moment of sheer terror, I’ll admit, because it was an ugh-known and a botched line meant no startx. No X at all. But it worked–magic!–and it felt like entry into a club.

When I first started using a computer I had a very difficult time. My only instrument was the IBM-DOS manual that came with the machine. Trying to understand anything in it was worse than learning a foreign language–from a text book with no other input, other than error message output. It was horrible, but I did learn how to format and re-install DOS the first day.

But I found a slim book, Learn How To Program, And Change The Way You Think and I picked it up. I didn’t really learn to program, other than batch files and Basic, but it did change the way I think. To the degree, anyway, that I could read and use the damn DOS manual and get something out of it. :wink:

The old 600-page SuSE manual, in the beautiful SuSE-green boxed edition was like a Christmas present. :smiley:

Bon temps!

EDIT: Anyway, @Aervec, just keep hacking away at it and one day it will all just click.

I’m with @c00ter, try things out with your system. Take care not to lose your personal data.
Read the Manjaro User Guide (time is not wasted), get familiar with the Manjaro Wiki (it is well sorted and focuses on the needs of new users), dive into the Arch Wiki.
I learned much when reading
Also this list of applications is worth exploring

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.