How do I downgrade virtualbox extension pack to current vbox version?

virtualbox extensions isn’t working with virtualbox now because the two versions differ.
What’s the solution?

First, remove the extension package with pacman if you using virtualbox-ext-oracle or similar.

Then download the extension for your version form here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_1
After downloading, install it in virtualbox manual. Normally it is, Preferences -> Extensions -> The + Icon.

In the future, after upgrading virtalbox will ask if it should download and install the new extension.

Or, edit the PKGBUILD, lower the pkgver to 5.1.30, and build as per any AUR package.

I am assuming to reenable the features after I install the older package that is the same version I have installed I need to reboot, Correct?

Now its not letting me enable usb 2 or usb 3 like it did before all this.

This happens after I installed virtualbox 5.2.0 from vbox website and then run the program. I remove all of the old stuff for virtualbox that was installed on my system except for the config directory and my virtualbox vm folder.

Runtime error opening ‘/home/tyler/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml’ for reading: -38 (Access denied.).
/home/vbox/tinderbox/lnx64-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[554] (nsresult VirtualBox::init()).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
VirtualBoxWrap
Interface:
IVirtualBox {9570b9d5-f1a1-448a-10c5-e12f5285adad}
Callee:
IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}

edit
I found out the problem it is because everything in the config folder was owned by root so I did “sudo chown tyler:tyler asterick.asterick”

I fixed it I just changed the old config directory’s name to virtualbox.old to make room for the new one and to keep the old one just in case. Now it is working. I am going to try installing everything else now. :slight_smile:
all
edit:
I installed the latest version from virtualbox after I uninstalled the old system installed one. Then downloaded the new guestadditions iso and extension pack for the latest version everything is working now.
after you download the installation script file you need to make it executable with “sudo u+x filename” Then execute it “sudo ./filename” without the quotes.

I found out I needed to install the kernel headers for my current kernel.
to find out what version you need do “uname -a” for me kernel was 4.9 so I had to do “sudo pacman -S linux49-headers” then reboot and run “sudo /sbin/vboxconfig” to build the kernel modules needed for virtualbox to work.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.