How create iso from current manjaro installation

hey there i want to create an installable manjaro iso from my current installation is there any way i can do that

No - there is not - at least not directly.

It is possible to - sort of - create something resembling your current installation - but create an ISO directly from your running system is not possible.

well then how can i do that indirectly

Roughly - you use the Manjaro Tools to build an ISO - and using arguments to stop before it is actually building the ISO.

Then you copy the necessary files configurations to the skel folder of the filesystem intended for the ISO - then you resume build the ISO using argument for creating the ISO without rebuilding the filesystems.

Yes,

1. install manjaro-tools-iso
  2. Create a new iso-profile
  • put the names of all packages you want to the file Packages-Desktop
  • put all the files you have modified to desktop-overlay folder. Settings files from your $HOME folder go to desktop-overlay/etc/skel
  • remove any surplus files and personal settings you don’t want to pass to the installed system
  1. Build the iso with build-iso command
  2. Test your iso and fix any problems in the profile
  3. Profit.

There have been plans for a gui tool to automate this, but I haven’t had the time to do it.

5 Likes

Didn’t even know this existed, gonna save me so much time
Bless your tools :wink:

Can this be done if you want to reproduce a system with multiple users? I refurbish laptops for a nonprofit that distributes them to schools. I have to set up each one with certain software and 3 different users. It would be nice to automate the process with a custom ISO :slight_smile:

Setup one computer and clone the disk then?

If you use btrfs there is the possibility of seed-devices :wink:
like described at installing with seed device

If that is what you want to do then use CloneZilla. It works very well. Just get a USB stick and clone the original install with all the users/apps/settings, etc. all completed. Then boot into CloneZilla and use a USB Stick or a Dedicated SSD-USB.

1 Like