How can I stop fsck?

This is 100% spot on.

I feel that the “message” during bootup keeps giving users concern over nothing important. It’s quite literally like passing by a store on the road and you read a sign that says “We’re open!”

That’s all it is. It’s just a message. “Your filesystem is fine, nothing to do! Anyways, enjoy your computer!”

You can test this yourself by manually invoking fsck (on an unmounted filesystem or in a live USB session) without any parameters. It will most likely immediately exit and skip any such scan because your filesystem is “clean”. That’s why you need to invoke the -f flag to FORCE it to scan your filesystem. (The bootup process does not do that. Nothing is forced.)

EDIT: Made it more clear.

2 Likes

At this point I’m tempted to file a Manjaro feature request in which console message are redirected to TTY3 by default. If the user doesn’t see any messages, then it means their system is healthy. :wink:

This worry / issue about “fsck message” keeps coming up repeatedly in this forum.

1 Like

Don’t ever do that! :scream:

fsck may only be run against an unmounted filesystem. Running it against a mounted filesystem is going to cause damage to said filesystem, unless the filesystem is mounted read-only, but even then I still wouldn’t recommend it.

tty3 won’t have been initialized yet at that point of the boot process. The ttys — i.e. the virtual consoles — are initialized by systemd, which isn’t running yet at that point of the boot process. So the output is sent to /dev/console instead, which is the default Linux console — or boot console, if you will — as built into the kernel.

2 Likes

You know what? Correcting me in front of others in public? Fsck yo-, nevermind.

Anyways, I found a solution. Just remove the dust cover when you think the login screen or desktop is ready. No need to change any settings or defaults. It is highly effective at resolving most bootup concerns.

Also works with laptops too! :+1:

1 Like

But wouldn’t changing the default Grub parameter to be console=tty3 take care of this for most Manjaro users? (As seen how it usually works when others want to hide such fsck messages during bootup.)

1 Like

Hello my friend let see my systemd-analyze blame output

5.286s dev-sda5.device
3.673s udisks2.service
2.943s ModemManager.service
2.926s dev-loop4.device
2.770s dev-loop3.device
2.647s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-0084\x2d9283.service
2.534s upower.service
2.520s dev-loop2.device
2.511s dev-loop0.device
1.979s cups.service
1.920s dev-loop1.device
1.816s NetworkManager.service
1.521s systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
1.435s systemd-rfkill.service
1.278s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-004B\x2d54D2.service
1.248s polkit.service
1.032s systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
 936ms lvm2-monitor.service
 899ms bluetooth.service
 891ms systemd-logind.service
 887ms dbus.service
 884ms dev-disk-by\x2duuid-f93c95ee\x2d0acb\x2d4d06\x2da79a\x2d7be3e5f7bc70.swap
 742ms systemd-random-seed.service
 508ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-4e65a8f9\x2db8f2\x2d48cb\x2d97ec\x2dfade6f35e638.service
 501ms systemd-timesyncd.service
 455ms user@1000.service
 377ms systemd-modules-load.service

help me find things that is useless and tell me how to stop them TNX I`m a noob

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

winnie I redirect them to TTY can you tell me Is there a way to see messages ?

Well, it would attempt to send the boot-up messages to tty3, but that’s no guarantee that they will arrive there, given that the fsck is being run before tty3 is initialized. And in that case, my might then just as easily point them at /dev/null… where no one hears you scream… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

is that harmful ?

To cycle between TTYs: CTRL + ALT + F1 (or F2, F3, F4, etc)

when to use these shortcuts? I`m really noob

It could be, because those messages are there for a reason. If you redirect all output of the boot process to /dev/null and something goes wrong, you’d never know about it.

I have no way of knowing what you need and what you don’t need, because it all depends on your hardware and how you’ve installed the system. For instance, I myself don’t have Bluetooth, so I’ve disabled that, and I’m also not using lvm2, so I’ve disabled that too. But you in turn may need those things. We don’t know that.

What I will say is that 5.286 seconds is definitely not a bad score, so I don’t see what could possibly still make a difference.

2 Likes

TNX really help me bro

You can use them at any point when the system is running. UNIX is a multiuser operating system and every tty (except for tty12) is a separate login console.

ok and how can I see the result of fsck that are redirected?

Ctrl+Alt+F3. The shortcut for returning to your GUI environment differs per GUI. In the event of KDE Plasma, it would be Alt+F1, but if you’re running XFCE, then it’ll be Alt+F7. I’m not sure anymore what it is for GNOME these days — Alt+F4 maybe?

Either way, if you want to see those messages, then why redirect them in the first place? :man_shrugging:

2.943s ModemManager.service - you can disable this if you are not using any modem…

1.979s cups.service - this is used for printing, so if you are not using printing you can disable it

936ms lvm2-monitor.service if you are not using logical volumes (probably not) you can disable it

2.926s dev-loop4.device this loop devices are probably related to snap, so if you have any snap packages installed, remove them and replace them if you want to improve boot time

1 Like

Yes but I want to see them if there is something important ?
or it will show the important messages there ?

TNX brahma

It does not matter whether the messages are important or not. The redirection will apply to all messages.

1 Like