How can I manually install a window manager?

I’m trying to make a window manager for a Raspberry Pi 4. I have already compiled it. Right now my device is running Manjaro Gnome, because I had trouble installing aarch64 with just Arch. I know how to install Window Managers/Desktop Environments with pacman, logout and switch to them. I just don’t know where to put my program and what to configure in order to try my custom one.

In order for your custom WM to be selectable from the login screen, it needs to have a .desktop file in either /usr/share/xsessions or in /usr/share/wayland-sessions.

The program itself should probably be in /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin/.

As long as the .desktop file points to it correctly and it has executable rights, it should work.

5 Likes

Did you compile E desktop?

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

You can very easily setup i3 to work within xfce.

Or since you already installed GNOME you should be able to use the pop shell tiling script. You can have both window manger with s little DE on top.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.