How can I fix dual boot with Manjaro after installing Elementary OS Loki alongside it?

I installed Elementary OS Loki alongside Manjaro and now it shows a new boot screen with Elementary os and Manjaro. But when I select Manjaro it shows: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

How can I fix this?

!

Here’s my boot screen

You probably overwrote grub with elementary’s grub.

1 Like

Elementary (and all other OS :astonished: ) grub bootloader cannot boot Manjaro.
You need to make Manjaro the default grub again.
This is probably the easiest way to go about it.

2 Likes

Thank you friends. I am going to try this :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s the difference between this method to using chroot? Are there some situations one must use chroot or other tools?

1 Like

The thing is that it basically skips chroot - manually gets you to boot the installed manjaro from which you run the needed grub-install & update-grub.
(IE - as long as you have a bootable live image, you can do this without extra tools or the need to install them)

1 Like

So it needs an inital ramdisk image file in the installed manjaro? If I make some changes and mkinitcpio to a broken one, does this work?

1 Like

This is about replacing a non-manjaro grub with a manjaro one so that it can boot manjaro. If you have malformed your entries thats a bit different, but this could be a method of repairing it, if you include the extra fiddling to fix what you broke.

3 Likes

@Tasha123Shamiya
Instead of using Manjaro livecd , you can also use the Elementary grub menu.
Press ‘c’ and you get to the grub prompt.
Go from there.
@dorma
As cscs says. There are many ways to skin a cat.
Chroot is one. This is another.
Personally, it is better to fix things from the OS itself (if it is possible) than from a livecd or from chroot. It’s also safer, easier and faster.
Hope this answers.

2 Likes

Finally done! Thank you all :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.