Hotspotshield VPN cannot connect

I used to run vanilla Arch Linux and I used the hotspotshield-bin package from the AUR to connect to the hotspotshield VPN.

After switching to Manjaro, I downloaded the package from the AUR, but when trying to connect, I immediately get a message that says: “Can’t establish VPN connection. Please check your system journals”

The journal then acquires the following entries:

Jan 15 18:24:28 Jaco-PC hotspotshield[204956]: system_property_set: : fopen(/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter)
Jan 15 18:24:28 Jaco-PC hotspotshield[204956]: linux_cm_new: system_properties_config(all)
Jan 15 18:24:28 Jaco-PC hotspotshield[204956]: CM: failed to start connectivity module

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Check the Latest Comments section here:

I have checked that comment section and unfortunately, none of the solutions described there actually work in my case. As I said, I’ve gotten this to work on previous installations, but now it just doesn’t want to work for some reason.

I have the same problem…I installed all the dependencies but I get the same error “Can’t establish VPN connection. Please check your system journals”
any help will be appreciated .

Some VPN providers rely on systemd-resolved to set the nameservers the resolver should point to during the connection.

Manjaro defaults to use resolvconf (openresolv) and switching to systemd-resolved may me just the change you need.

The topic [root tip] NordVPN on Manjaro is written with NordVPN in mind but is very likely to work with any VPN provider.

If you replace the specific mention of nordpvn commands with the commands for Hotspotshield you should be able to figure it out.

You should be able to figure it out if you replace the particular mention of nordpvn instructions with the commands for Hotspotshield.

I have the same problem, as well. I’ve followed the guide provided ago, swapping commands with hotspot-shield’s specific commands, and it didn’t work.