High CPU temperature, fans seems not ot be working

Hello,

This is the first time I ask something on this community. I have a problem that I realized just now that I left Linux Mint to Manjaro. I first realized it while I was playing a game and it was stuttering a lot and the character was still wsalking after I released the key. When I checked the CPU stats on Top Hat extension, this is the result:


While I play it reaches 90°C and processor usage up to 100%.
I then started to research about it on many linux foruns, I read about lm-sensors, nbfc-linux and other ways to deal with that, since the problem was likely related to the fan. At first I was using Vitals extension to get system monitoration and the tab “Fan” alwayas show “no data”. Additionaly, the ln-asensors displays such a result:

`sudo sensors  :heavy_check_mark:  15s 
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +70.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0: +62.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +62.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2: +61.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3: +63.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

BAT1-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0: 12.29 V
curr1: 0.00 A

pch_cannonlake-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +54.0°C

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +57.0°C
temp2: +57.0°C`

I tried many of the things I saw online: tried diferent kernels, changed drivers, nbfc, lm-sensors, I even installed Pop_OS! and Ubuntu and the problem was the same.

The command inxi -F displays (I insaerted only important data below):
System: Host: Manjaro Kernel: 6.9.2-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: GNOME v: 46.2 Distro: Manjaro Linux Machine: Type: Laptop System: SAMSUNG product: 550XBE/350XBE v: P13REU serial: <superuser required> Mobo: SAMSUNG model: NP350XBE-XD1BR v: SGL9970A0B-C01-G002-S0001+10.0.17763 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: P13REU.091.220223.JJ date: 02/23/2022 Battery: ID-1: BAT1 charge: 25.7 Wh (98.1%) condition: 26.2/43.1 Wh (60.8%) CPU: Info: quad core model: Intel Core i5-8265U bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 1024 KiB Speed (MHz): avg: 1703 min/max: 400/3900 cores: 1: 3892 2: 400 3: 3855 4: 400 5: 400 6: 400 7: 3882 8: 400 Graphics: Device-1: Intel WhiskeyLake-U GT2 [UHD Graphics 620] driver: i915 v: kernel Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce MX110] driver: nvidia v: 550.78 Device-3: Silicon Motion Web Camera driver: uvcvideo type: USB Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.13 with: Xwayland v: 24.1.0 driver: X: loaded: modesetting,nvidia dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo/xrandr> resolution: 1: 1366x768 2: 1366x768 API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: iris,kms_swrast,nvidia,swrast platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 24.0.8-manjaro1.1 renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 620 (WHL GT2) Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 64.0 C pch: 54.0 C mobo: N/A Fan Speeds (rpm): N/A Info: Memory: total: 8 GiB available: 7.65 GiB used: 3.81 GiB (49.8%) Processes: 322 Uptime: 1h 29m Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.34

Thanks in advance.

Hi there and welcome to manjaro.

First things first I will attach a guide that will include tips like how to format code etc.

Then please revise your inxi for an

inxi -Farz

While fixing the formatting so that it is easier to read.

That said.

It appears you have a hybrid system.

Are you using the hybrid mhwd profile and associated drivers?

mhwd -li -l

If you are using a variant of prime then I wonder if you are using it on your game?
If you fail to call the nvidia card then your intel might be overworked.

We can test it working like;

glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'

The first should return the default iGPU and the second command should return the heavier nvidia dGPU.

In order to use prime with your games you should use prime-run.

In the case of steam that means editing the game launch options like so:

prime-run %command%
inxi --admin --verbosity=8 --filter --no-host --width

Place this output between three ``` (backticks) both before and after the pasted output.

As it stands, the OP’s inxi output is not only badly formatted, making it difficult to read in any meaningful way, but also incomplete. Maybe I’ll look in later.