High cpu idle temp

This temps on linux511 and linux512 (similar to Windows) this are normal? I use the normal boxed cooler. Maybe an UEFI Update can resolve this?

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Tctl:         +48.2°C  
Tdie:         +48.2°C  
Tccd1:        +48.0°C  
Tccd2:        +44.8°C

on linux510 they are lower

Running on an ASUS Prime Pro X570, using standard Fan Speed for CPU (UEFI Setting)

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong I have equivalent values with Intel® Core™ i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz. The cpu model is important because some work with higher values than others.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification, I have also read this.:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.13-AMD-Energy-Removed

So they may drop it in next stable Kernel 5.13

TL;DR

That’s the difference between an LTS kernel and a stable kernel.

The long version:

A long time ago, the even-numbered kernels used to be stable ones and the odd-numbered ones experimental ones but the experimental ones were so experimental that no one was using them, so they renamed “experimental” to “stable” and came out with the LTS ones.

So if you want predictable stability, keep to the LTS kernels and if you want to

• experiment,
  • file bugs with the kernel development team about temperatures,
  • Have very new hardware

go with the stable ones and at least one LTS one.
So what you’re seeing is absolutely normal as already expressed by linux-aarhus as 5.10 isn’t as efficient as 5.10 (yet).

:+1:

1 Like

I read somewhere that Manjaro showed different core temperatures when changing the kernel. Last night I did a bit of experimentation and ran 5 kernels with only bpytop and neofetch in console after a reboot an 3-5 min to stabilize, i.e. when the CPU freq. minimizes and stays almost constant, and the results are shown below.

CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-6700HQ (-MT MCP-)
speed/min/max: 1589/800/3500 MHz
Temp as shown by bytop as CPU/avg of 8 cores in °C

Kernel      Temp    MHz
5.12.0-1    45/43   800
5.11.16-2   46/44   805
5.10.32-1   45/42   800
5.9.16-1    45/43   800
5.4.114-1   54/50   804

As you can see, from kernel 5.9 the core temp is the same, only Kernel 5.4 runs 5 °C higher than the rest.
If somebody thinks the problem might occur when under load, I could try it also. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

But maybe it’s better to run stable Kernels on newer Hardware this is what Kernel Developers say.

And I keep both latest LTS and Stable if I have major issues on the Stable Kernel I Switch to LTS. But what normally always run latest stable kernel also doing it on my Old ThinkPad T60 :joy:.

So at the and I can life with the Temperature Values as I said there are similar to Windows.
:thinking: means the values are correct on Kernel 5.12 and wrong on 5.10?

1 Like

:100: :exclamation: Edited that into my answer.

:clap:
But that also means you’ve got to update 4 kernels at every update (2 stable + 2 LTS)!
One stable and one LTS is the perfect choice for newer hardware!

As my hardware is 4 years old by now, I keep the last 2 LTSes only and don’t bother with the latest stable except when it comes out of RC to see whether the kernel now finally exposes my keyboard backlights (It still doesn’t, so it gets deleted straight away) and when it finally does, I’ll be able to finally:

No, it means 5.12 isn’t as efficient as 5.10 yet. (also edited back into my original answer (HINT! HINT!) :grin:

:+1:

1 Like

amd_engery is anyways only enabled for server processors (Epyc)
You won’t be missing anything.

But let me ask what you mean by that, I have only linux510 and linux512 installed?

I misinterpreted that as: I keep 2 LTS kernels + 2 stable kernels, so if you only have 5.10 and 5.12 you’ve corrected my (wrong) assumption so I’ve edited my answer to reflect my new understanding.

:scream:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.