Hibernate resume restarting computer

Hello!

After I put my laptop to hibernate, and I resume it by clicking the power button, it restarts the computer (I'm assuming that due to the computer manufacturer logo appearing and the flow being just like a restarting).

Information:

• Dell Latitude e5450
  • Xfce
  • Kyria 19.0.2
  • Just installed today
  • UEFI

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

Sure it looks like it is "rebooting" on my end as well. But do you get to your graphical desktop with the same "state of affairs" as when you put your machine into hibernation?

Please post the output of the following commands. Copy the text from the terminal, paste, highlight and click </>.

cat /etc/fstab
sudo blkid -o list
cat /proc/cmdline

UUID=8AE8-336F                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=c4f6779e-6653-4a9e-a9e7-1d095fc54eec /              ext4    defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
UUID=62eb5827-a6ea-4b44-86ae-6a3e68db218d swap           swap    defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
device                                  fs_type        label           mount point                                 UUID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/sda1                               vfat                           /boot/efi                                   8AE8-336F
/dev/sda2                               ext4                           /                                           c4f6779e-6653-4a9e-a9e7-1d095fc54eec
/dev/sda3                               swap                           [SWAP]                                      62eb5827-a6ea-4b44-86ae-6a3e68db218d
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 root=UUID=c4f6779e-6653-4a9e-a9e7-1d095fc54eec rw quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor resume=UUID=62eb5827-a6ea-4b44-86ae-6a3e68db218d udev.log_priority=3

To me it looks like it is properly set.

:thinking:

I'm sorry for omitting that question. I did a test where I hibernated with Firefox open. After going through my normal startup process and logging in, it was exactly how I left it.

I must have misunderstood how hibernation works. It does cut off the power, so the computer needs to boot up as it normally would, right? That's why it has to go through GRUB?

Thank you very much and sorry for the time waste!

1 Like

No problem!

I guess the answer to both question is yes. It boots up as normal with the difference that the kernel uses the resume unit (the swap) defined in the boot command line for getting back the machine to the pre-hibernation state. I admitt that my understanding might be faulty/shallow but hopefully users with more knowledge of ins and outs of the matter will join to elucidate the matter further.

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by