Hi Folks. New to Manjaro, not new to Linux (overclock Thinkpad with phc-intel)

Long-time Windows user here, starting with NT4 and still using 7 Pro. I've been using Linux also for almost 7 years, starting with Ubuntu in 2013. From there to Mint, then to Solus, and now to Manjaro. So far, it has been good. I repair, maintain, and upgrade computers as a sideline so I have to keep Windows around, and tbh, I do like 7 Pro.

I've run into a problem I've not had before, though, and I don't know how to solve it.

My system is a ThinkPad T61p MTM 6460DVU. In Windows, using Throttlestop, I am able to overclock and undervolt the C2D T9300. I want to do the same in Manjaro. From much Googling, it appears the best tools are c2ctl and phc-intel. However, when I try to install phc-intel, I get the error "PKGBUILD does not exist." I can't install one without the other. Would someone help me with this, please?

phc-intel is Flagged out-of-dateWait until it is updated.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/phc-intel/
Wait until it is updated or write to the maintainer.

Since no update came for over one month, it could take some time till it gets updated (well, the AUR also has downsides). Here is a working version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5w0i9hu8oj793o/phc-intel.tar.gz?dl=0 Unpack it, change into the unpacked directory and run

makepkg
sudo pacman -U phc-intel-0.3.2.12.30-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
1 Like

Thank you very much, Photon. That is a big help. :grin:

Would you be able to tell me why cpupower frequency-info reports that my CPU is limited to 1.2GHz on both cores, even when I set the governor to "performance"? It correctly reports the range, though, from 800MHz to 2.5GHz. Core2 Duo T9300. This is the first time I've run into this. On the other distros I've used, setting the governor to "performance" runs the CPU at or close to max, using cpufrequtils and acpi-cpufreq.

1 Like

You're welcome! :slight_smile:

I fear, I can't help out with the usage question since I have never used this package and have never tried any undervolting or overclocking. Somehow the automatic frequency reduction works out of the box on my machines. I'd open a new thread concerning this issue.

1 Like

@Photon

It turned out to be BIOS-limited. In highsun T61-BIOS(1.0)_ASPM_OC, EIST_LOCK was enabled. In Middleton's T61 BIOS, EIST_LOCK is disabled. Now...

inxi -Fxxxz output, partial =
"CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo T9300 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Penryn rev: 6 L2 cache: 6144 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 9979
Speed: 2650 MHz min/max: 2250/2501 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz):
1: 2671 2: 2537
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA G84GLM [Quadro FX 570M] vendor: Lenovo ThinkPad T61p"

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by