Here's why I got frustrated with Ubuntu but I love Manjaro

So let me rant a little bit here. I just spent 1-2 hours with a friend that has Ubuntu and needed some help setting up OBS Studio. He has Ubuntu, I have Manjaro. People say Ubuntu is more user friendly and Manjaro is more for advanced users and is less stable. Well…

So. I call my friend via Jitsi to help him out. First thing I want is to send him my OBS Studio config files so that he can quickly gets a demo setup of how OBS works. I send him the files and tell him to go to home/.config and copy the OBS settings folder there. He does that, then installs OBS via Ubuntu Software Center, and we realize that the settings thing did not work. OBS looked as brand new. That was strange. Then I told him: let’s make sure you didn’t install a snap version of OBS that stores settings somewhere else. And he said: “Ah, maybe I did, even though I don’t know what snaps are but I see 2 versions of OBS in my software center.” - he then installs the second version. We try again. Nothing. Then I realize that he installed a flatpak version…damn! The Ubuntu Software center is a mess and he got so confused. Ubuntu only has those 2 versions of OBS. Luckly I could manage to find where flatpak stores its settings and replaced with my settings and finally worked.

In Manjaro you simply open the “software center” pamac, search OBS, and install. One version, not 2 or 3. But he also needed the obs-linuxbrowser plugin. How to install that? We could not figure out. In Manjaro you can find it in pamac. Click and install.

The story doesn’t end here.

Then we realized that you cannot add a window capture to OBS for any browser and that’s an issue with Nvidia (PRIME) I think, as I also reported here OBS Studio cannot Window Capture Firefox for Manjaro. However, if you install say Waterfox or IceCat, then it forks to window capture these browsers. In Manjaro is as easy as going to pamac, search waterfox and/or icecat, and install. In Ubuntu…we honestly spent 1h and could not install. They are not found in Ubuntu’s Software Center, and if you want to install via terminal it is a pain in the ass. For sure this is not user friendly at all. So we gave up. We got frustrated with it.

One last thing. He asked me how can he deal with appimages in Ubuntu because he can open them (after he right clicks one, then go to properties, then mark “allow executing file as program”, then click it) but he cannot pin them to the favorite bar nor find them in his applications. Dang! I said let’s install appimagelauncher package that beautifully integrates all appimages into any Linux system. We had to go to github, then download the deb, then open with Software Center, and then we got so many errors. He clicked install, and then added password, and then it installed but actually it didn’t. So he installed 4-5 times and nothing, basically it looked like nothing was installed and you could click install infinitely. Then we tried with another deb from github and this one “worked”. It installed appimagelauncher. But then no appimage could be opened anymore…with anything…he had to eventually uninstall appimagelauncher and restart the computer so that his appimages work again with ubuntu.

Again, in Manjaro this situation is beautifully fixed with having appimagelauncher package installed by default, and if it isn’t installed by default, it is one click away in pamac.

Yeah so I wanted to tell you all how much I love Manjaro. I used Ubuntu for 5 years or so and from my experience Manjaro is the one that’s super easy to use for any users, and Ubuntu is limited in terms of software, is old, and if you want to install more apps than there are in the Software Center then you’ll make a frankestein from Ubuntu and it will get you super frustrated.

Thank you Manjaro for making this functional, simple, powerful and easy to use Operating System. Currently I work on a custom Manjaro (isobuild) because even that is straight forward to do. If I had lots of money I would donate a lot to you guys :wink:

EDIT: I installed Manjaro on several laptops already, for friends and family. My parents and my sister use Manjaro, and the parents of one of my friends. So if they can, the parents, then anyone can use Manjaro :smiley:

EDIT2: I do not want to bash Ubuntu. I love the open source community and Ubuntu made me switch from Windows. I just want to point out where Manjaro is clearly better and to show you a real life example of where it can get super frustrating for users when dealing with an Operating System. So, I love what Ubuntu does and all the other Operating Systems that promote the open source idea :wink: - maybe my love for Manjaro made me “hate” Ubuntu when it came to such frustrating things like I described above.

5 Likes

I find Manjaro to be almost dirt simple to install software thanks to Pamac and Pacman. And due to the AUR I don’t need to hunt down third party PPAs every time I do a major update like I did with Ubuntu based Distros such as Mint and Xubuntu.

I also find Manjaro far less buggy then some LTS type distos as well.

2 Likes

We’re really not supposed to bash other OS’s on the forum, but I know it’s pretty hard not to at times.

3 Likes

I understand, but to me wasn’t bashing was a real life example of where Manjaro makes a huge difference :wink: - maybe such views are the most important for an operating system because these are the real struggles of users.

1 Like

I get it, but when you say you hate Ubuntu in your title it certainly comes off as OS bashing. Perhaps massaging your title might prevent your thread from possibly being locked by an admin.

maybe use dislike instead of hate?

3 Likes

Yes I understand. I changed to " Here’s why I got frustrated with Ubuntu but I love Manjaro"

3 Likes

Then i’ll be a good girl & not openly insult That Other Distro, but nobody’s gonna stop me from saying how ghastly the whole PPA system is… & hence how lovely the Pacman + Pamac + AUR architecture is. Thank dog i decided to climb over the *buntu hill a couple of years ago to survey the landscape & thus discover the wondrous lands of openSUSE & then [most of all] Manjaro.

Afterthought: Tis funny how bad things can stimulate us to look for better alternatives. Had windoze not been so nasty i’d never have discovered Linux. Had *buntu & derivatives not have driven me to exasperation i’d never have discovered Nirvana [does that mean i’d still be with Pearl Jam? Have i just segued myself totally into OT yet again?].

1 Like

Hey I first started out with Mandrake/Mandriva Linux and used it for years after Be Inc went under. During it’s later years the quality of that Distro went downhill and Distro hopped through three Ubuntu based distros before discovering Manjaro.

I figured out that for Desktop Linux it is best to use a Community back distro.

dog%20welcome

In dog we trust.

:grin:

FWIW loyal dogs hate the whole PPA mess as much as they hate help vampires.

2 Likes

So, I’m not the only one who’s trained their German Sheppard to attack help vampires on sight then. :vampire:

They’re all good, just pick the one that works best for you. :eyes:

1 Like

In the spirit of the topic, I want to add my thumbs up with a very similar experience.

I started off avoiding Manjaro because I kept reading it was less stable and more likely to cause issues.

After battling with Kubuntu then Ubuntu, I moved accross just to check it out ONLY becuase Manjaro was topping the distrowatch list and I Was curious - But stability + support has been incredible and I’ve never looked back. Not to mention as the OP mentioned when things do break they just seem to be easier to fix here in Arch.

2 Likes

I’ve got to say, and correct me if I’m wrong, after using Debian for about 3 months as a daily driver I found installing 3rd party software was quite difficult and unintuitive (in my opinion). The answer then was Ubuntu, the Debian based distro which makes installation of 3rd party software easier with PPAs. So I thankful for it even if there is better solution today. Even with the PPAs it still a distro worth knowing.

I too was deterred from Manjaro due to stability rumors, but was pleasantly surprised when I started testing and using it. I find it much less restrictive coming from Ubuntu point releases and find it more forgiving when trying something wild. Also I got tired of reinstalling a new system every 2 years. I would want to migrate all my systems to Manjaro in the near future.

2 Likes

I like both Manjaro and Ubuntu, as well as many others.

My experience with Ubuntu has always been very good. The resources to make sure the system works pretty well overall, and their software servers are really fast. It looks pretty darn good too with the new theming and icon set.

Manjaro (Arch-based) is hard to pass by if for just the reason of the everything-in-one-place software center.

GM

1 Like

I hate a certain distro because it forces “warm” colours, an unamovable left bar and its server version has a package called “unattended-security-updates” that is installed by default and will bork your server when you least expect it. For the later alone, someone should have been shot for even thinking about something like this in a Linux server environment.

Tony

1 Like

You do know that themes are changeable, you can disable/uninstall auto apdates and use dash-to-panel if you so choose … .and yes, even use an alternative distro like Manjaro.

:partying_face:

2 Likes

I’ve used Ubuntu for so many years. I recently switched to Manjaro simply because I think it’s an outstanding distro. Having said that, I believe Ubuntu has done and it is still doing in many ways a great job for Linux.

Ubuntu has helped a lot in the worldwide distribution of Linux. It’s made it quite a bit more mainstream and less of a niche product. I don’t see anything wrong with Canonical’s approach.

4 Likes

I could do a lot of stuff, true… but sometimes it’s not worth the effort.

That being said, I did remove the unattended package but only after I realized it would mess up my servers. Isn’t that the same as differentiating telemetry that is imposed (you can turn it off) from telemetry that is optional (you can turn it on)? One is evil Microsoft, the other QT5 :slightly_smiling_face:

I used to run and mantain a few websites some time ago. In my experience, Ubuntu Server was ok but not as stable and hassle-free like CentOS. When it comes to servers, I believe CentOS is the best choice.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark