Help with Grub Setup for MSDOS / Freedos / Manjaro Multiboot

Trying to find out how to modify the grub commands.
I am kind of new so please be kind. :slight_smile: I have looked and have read the Grub Manual, but nothing I have read matches, and the only place I can see to edit is in Grub

I have
/dev/sda1 MSDos 6.22 (and this boots ok)
/dev/sda2 Freedos 1.3 and it wont boot.
/dev/sda3 ShareDos (just an empty partition to put programs and stuff I want to test in both MSDos and FreeDos
/dev/sda4 Manjaro

Installing gave me the three options I want, but the freedos one is wrong it tries to do some odd things
I can’t find the current contents of the individual grub menu options unless I am using grub.

When the freedos on /dev/sda2 boots I want to hide /dev/sda1 and mount /dev/sda2 as C:

How do I edit the the menu options couldn’t find them where I expected them.
And while I am reading the manual I found on grub at gnu I am a little overwhelmed and have no idea what to do.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.

[HowTo] Provide System Information

1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

(Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

1 Like

Menu entries are normally at /boot/grub/grub.cfg. If you use os-prober then it will be automatically generated on update-grub, so overwrites /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Custom entry can be placed here:

• /etc/grub.d/40_custom
  • /etc/grub.d/41_custom
2 Likes

a helpful link
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Grub

3 Likes

Ah found it thank you!. I was hoping it was going to be a bit more straight forward
menu i item, menu 2 etc this is all a convoluted mess of someone far more cleaver than I am.
I just want to modify this so that when freedos boots the msdos partition is hidden and freedos is the main one, so it can load. no way I am going to get this without mucking it up, maybe its safer to switch to something that can use the graphical grub editor. I just want to program in msdos and freedos. and use Linux to do things that I don’t have drivers for. Maybe use Vs Code as the editor for djgpp stuff. That’s it not spend forever learning grub before I can relearn dos programming lol. sigh