Help with Grub(s)

So I have two internal SSDs on my machine. One of them is loaded with Debian Stretch 9.7. The other is loaded with the latest edition of Manjaro. I installed Manjaro on the second drive after I installed Debian on the first drive and now the Manjaro drive is the one with the active Grub loader. I want to switch back to the Grub loader I had already been using on the Debian drive. In other words, how do I switch from loading from the Manjaro Grub entry back to my Debian Grub entry? Any help any of you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

just on boot pres Esc to see Grub Menu
you will see entreys for Debian

always update-grub with manjaro ,
boot on manjaro require microcode and kernel img

If uefi, ‘efibootmgr’ to see efientries, then do
sudo efibootmgr -o xxxx,yyyy,zzzz
where you want ‘xxxx’ entry to be default.

If bios-legacy, boot into Debian and do
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Or you can use post 22 by @AgentS to fix it at bios.

But watch out for Debian’s grub booting Manjaro with just intel-ucode and not the kernel initrd files. If you want to find out more, search this forum for ‘kernel panic’ . :grinning:

2 Likes

So as an update, I think I goofed because I deleted all the boot entries using efibootmgr except for Debian and now I can’t boot into Manjaro.

This is my output for efibootmgr -v

BootCurrent: 0010
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0010,0012,0009
Boot0009* GRUB VenHw(99e275e7-75a0-4b37-a2e6-c5385e6c00cb)
Boot0010* debian HD(1,GPT,fd40a9d2-d974-40a9-97b8-6b2b6e854b36,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\DEBIAN\GRUBX64.EFI)
Boot0012* UEFI OS HD(1,GPT,50d1178f-155c-4034-b10f-17e91e3f5b9f,0x1000,0x96000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)…BO

Anyone know how I can get Manjaro to be able to boot again?

Thank you!

S

chroot into manjaro
and install grub.
and use manjaro grub.
its less painful this way.

1 Like

@Librewish
Has the good answer. Try also simply booting the disk with Manjaro on it from the BIOS menu. Maybe Manjaro’s Grub can’t boot but Manjaro itself can. From there you can run install grub .

efibootmgr finds /EFI/BOOT/*.efi files the system knows about and displays them for you. Mount your other SSD from debian and look into it to make sure you didn’t erase the booting files. In all cases, chroot-ing into Manjaro sounds like the easiest solution to the issue.

If you can get in Manjaro’s Grub but still can’t boot it, you can try entering the vmlinuz to run any terminal commands you may need to repair Manjaro.

Install rEFInd. It allows you to choose the grub to load at startup, and it looks nice too!

Use [Simple First Start] or modify Manjaro entry in Debian’s grub.

To modify Debian’s manjaro entry, replace the intel-ucode.img at the initrd line to that of the corresponding initrfamfs file, like initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img.

ps: are you sure your manjaro is in uefi and is in a gpt partitioned disk? (It may not be.)
Check with output required at [If Problem persists] at the link.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark