HELP wanted - Can't login with administration account, password is correct

Hello all, I’m newbie user in linux and espessially in Manjaro, several weeks ago i installed and configed Manjaro+KDE, all was fine

Today I wanted to solve some problems with zsh
So I deleted zsh+oh-my-zsh packages from sistem

but still when I type in terminal echo $shell I got zsh shell so i decided to change it manually so I tried chsh -s $(which /bin/bash)
after that response of echo $SHELL still NOT changed, so I logout

And here we go…after logout in login screen I can’t connect to my admin user (password is correct because same password working on root user, no caps lock or other language input), I tried to restart and suddenly resolution settings in login screen changed…

I’m totally confused and don’t know what to do
I still can login with ctrl+alt+f2 to root user or to GUI session, I tried to change admin password with User managment but it doesn’t worked

SOLVED

In GUI session with root user installed zsh package and changed default shell to zsh, after restart I could login with administration user with password i changed before

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

See if this explains the problem… :arrow_down:

Thx for reply)

in GUI session with root user in /etc/pam.d directory I don’t have pam_tally, pam_tally2 and pam_cracklib files, also no “system-auth.pacnew”

What is the content of /etc/pam.d/system-login?

Mine is this… :arrow_down:

#%PAM-1.0

auth       required   pam_shells.so
auth       requisite  pam_nologin.so
auth       include    system-auth

account    required   pam_access.so
account    required   pam_nologin.so
account    include    system-auth

password   include    system-auth

session    optional   pam_loginuid.so
session    optional   pam_keyinit.so       force revoke
session    include    system-auth
session    optional   pam_motd.so          motd=/etc/motd
session    optional   pam_mail.so          dir=/var/spool/mail standard quiet
-session   optional   pam_systemd.so
session    required   pam_env.so           user_readenv=1

#%PAM-1.0

auth required pam_shells.so
auth requisite pam_nologin.so
auth include system-auth

account required pam_access.so
account required pam_nologin.so
account include system-auth

password include system-auth

session optional pam_loginuid.so
session optional pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session include system-auth
session optional pam_motd.so motd=/etc/motd
session optional pam_mail.so dir=/var/spool/mail standard quiet
-session optional pam_systemd.so
session required pam_env.so user_readenv=1

seems that same as yours

1 Like

Well, then it would appear that your issue was caused by the way you attempted to remove zsh. :thinking:

I would recommend that you reinstall the zsh package, and that you leave it installed. You can then use chsh for your user account, but this does not change the shell system-wide. It only changes the login shell for the user who executes the command.

In other words, if you wish to use bash then you can, but the root user will probably still be using zsh.

To be honest, I don’t know, because my system came with bash as the default shell, and I’m used to that, so I’m keeping it. I do have zsh installed as well, but it’s not the default.

I removed zsh and oh-my-zsh with pacman -R PACKAGENAME
But i still cant understand how it can be connected with problem :frowning:

You removed it before you had switched over to another shell. In other words, you attempted to remove a package that was actively in use when you tried to remove it.

1 Like

SOLVED

In GUI session with root user installed zsh package and changed default shell to zsh, after restart I could login with administration user with password i changed before

Thx, you are my hero

1 Like

Would you be so kind as to mark the post that solved your problem? That way the post will be added to the opening post as the solution. :slight_smile:

Thanks! :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.