Icons are rearranging themselves after each reboot

I have no idea why, but after each reboot icons rearrange them selves, even when i lock the icons on my desktop. When i entered to a new user, the problem is gone, but it has the default theme, when my own user account is customized with themes. Why this can happen? How can i fix this without changing a user?

Hi @DIO, and welcome!

It sounds like a permission problem. Specifically, the desktop icons’ position can’t be saved. You mentioned you have custom theme(s), have you tried changing it and seeing if it helps?

It is a known bug, I’m afraid.

Desktop Icon position gets scrambled sometimes on reboot.

I’ve changed in system setting to default theme settings, rebooted and everything worked fine. When I’ve reconfigured my desktop, it repeats again. There is a thing, that i have a monoblock on kubuntu 21.10 and there is the SAME theme settings, as on my laptop on manjaro, but there is NO problem. Probably, it is a kde plasma 5.23.4 bug:(

:man_shrugging:

Probably. Just need to figure out where the icon positions are saved and check the permissi0ons of said file…

But where i can look at this? Can u send discord to check my desktop?:frowning:

I don’t know where. I’m trying to find out, though. And I don’t have, or care for Discord btw. :wink:

1 Like

I very hope, that kde develop team will add a function to remember this icon place, cause it’s very annoying to replace them every time:(

Well, doesn’t really bother me. I don’t have any desktop icons. :wink:

Do you have the file ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, and if so, what is it’s permissions?

stat ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc | grep Access

Yeah, i have this file. Here is the output…

[dio@DIO ~]$ stat ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc | grep Access
[dio@DIO ~]$ 

Like, no info after…
P.s. i cannot put screenshot for some reason…

This is just a stab in the dark as I don’t have any desktop icons but have you tried resetting the plasma cache?

rm ~/.cache/*plasma* ; killall plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell

Just done it and rebooted. Nothing changes

rm ~/.cache/*plasma* ; killall plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell
rm: невозможно удалить '/home/dio/.cache/plasmashell': Это каталог
rm: невозможно удалить '/home/dio/.cache/plasma-systemmonitor': Это каталог
Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended
Icon theme "Numix-Circle-Light" not found.
[dio@DIO ~]$ Icon theme "Numix-Circle-Light" not found.
kf.plasma.quick: Applet preload policy set to 1
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor/contents/ui/main.qml:43:5: QML MouseArea: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor/contents/ui/main.qml:41: TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor/contents/ui/main.qml:43:5: QML MouseArea: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor/contents/ui/main.qml:41: TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
qt.svg: <input>:281:374: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:282:126: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:283:126: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:283:385: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:284:125: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:285:124: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:286:125: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:287:125: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:288:125: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:288:371: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: <input>:288:619: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
trying to show an empty dialog
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:134:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:134:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property "height"
Error: cannot change the containment to AppletsLayout
Plasma Shell startup completed
Plasma Shell startup completed
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.milou/contents/ui/main.qml:47:17: Unable to assign double to QQuickAnchorLine
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:520:9: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:475:13: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.panelspacer/contents/ui/main.qml:39:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to QQuickGridLayout*
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel/contents/ui/main.qml:18:1: QML DropArea (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumWidth"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:475:13: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:520:9: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:542:5: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.milou/contents/ui/main.qml:47:17: Unable to assign double to QQuickAnchorLine
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.panelspacer/contents/ui/main.qml:39:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to QQuickGridLayout*
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel/contents/ui/main.qml:18:1: QML DropArea (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumWidth"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:542:5: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
Cyclic dependency detected between "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml" and "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationHeader.qml"
libkcups: CUPS-Get-Printers last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Create-Printer-Subscriptions last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: CUPS-Get-Printers last error: 0 successful-ok
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:17:1: QML MouseArea (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumWidth"
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/Tooltip.qml:54:9: QML GridLayout (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumWidth"
qml: SystemTray ItemLoader: Invalid state, cannot determine source!
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:17:1: QML MouseArea (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumWidth"
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/Tooltip.qml:54:9: QML GridLayout (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumWidth"
libkcups: 5 "Deskjet-2520-series"
libkcups: 0
libkcups: 5 "Deskjet-2520-series"
QFont::setPointSizeF: Point size <= 0 (0.000000), must be greater than 0
Entry is not valid "kontact.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557568571820)
Entry is not valid "ktp-contactlist.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557568571a10)
Entry is not valid "org.kde.discover.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557568588690)
Entry is not valid "kontact.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557568571a10)
Entry is not valid "ktp-contactlist.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557568588690)
Entry is not valid "org.kde.discover.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557568588af0)
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kickoff/contents/ui/KickoffGridView.qml:65:9: QML GridView: Binding loop detected for property "width"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kickoff/contents/ui/KickoffGridView.qml:65:9: QML GridView: Binding loop detected for property "width"
Entry is not valid "kontact.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557567703d40)
Entry is not valid "ktp-contactlist.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557567a8a7b0)
Entry is not valid "org.kde.discover.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557567df7920)
Entry is not valid "kontact.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557567a8a7b0)
Entry is not valid "ktp-contactlist.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557567df7920)
Entry is not valid "org.kde.discover.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x557567e872a0)
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.battery/contents/ui/PowerProfileItem.qml:136: TypeError: Cannot read property 'label' of undefined
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/components/ModelContextMenu.qml:38:1: QML ModelContextMenu: Accessible must be attached to an Item
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/components/ModelContextMenu.qml:38:1: QML ModelContextMenu: Accessible must be attached to an Item
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.battery/contents/ui/PowerProfileItem.qml:136: TypeError: Cannot read property 'label' of undefined
[dio@DIO ~]$

If that is the output it doesn’t look like the file exists. Please provide the output of:

file ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc               

P.S.:

In the future, when providing terminal output, paste the text and wrap the terminal text in three backticks (```) before and after the text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This just causes it to be rendered like this:

Sollicitudin varius arcu
quis placerat
dolor proin erat
nulla commodo
sit condimentum diam ipsum vel.

Instead of like this:

Sollicitudin varius arcu quis placerat dolor proin erat nulla commodo sit condimentum diam ipsum vel.

Thereby improving legibility and making it easier for those trying to assist you.

file ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc      
/home/dio/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc: Unicode text, UTF-8 text, with very long lines (405)

Like, it exists

I see, yes. Yet the stat one was empty. Perhaps without the grep. With sudo:

sudo stat ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
[dio@DIO ~]$ sudo stat ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
Положите указательный палец правой руки на считывающее устройство
  Файл: /home/dio/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
  Размер: 13890         Блоков: 32         Блок В/В: 4096   обычный файл
Device: 0,44    Inode: 710599      Links: 1
Доступ: (0600/-rw-------)  Uid: ( 1000/     dio)   Gid: ( 1001/     dio)
Доступ:        2022-01-20 00:25:52.166666671 +1000
Модифицирован: 2022-01-20 00:25:52.166666671 +1000
Изменён:       2022-01-20 00:25:52.170000004 +1000
Создан:        2022-01-20 00:25:52.166666671 +1000

Try:

chmod 0755 ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

Because mine is 0755:

$ stat ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc | grep Access
Access: (0755/-rwxr-xr-x)  Uid: ( 1000/mirdarthos)   Gid: ( 1000/mirdarthos)
Access: 2022-01-19 15:57:41.255996806 +0200

Then moving something, and rebooting to see if it works.

Well i’ve added this rule rebooted, and everythins worked fine. But then after some time, i’ve rebooted again, and the bug appears again, without writing any command. The rule works for one reboot and i have to do it each time before rebooting:(