Help Reference Guide Opening In GIMP

So the help reference you can summon via keystroke Mod+Shift+h is no longer opening in a floating window, but attempts to import itself into GIMP.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is that I recently replaced the default pdf-reader with zathura.

I assume there’s a config setting I need to change?

The first thing you can try, is finding out which is the default application for opening pdf files.

In a terminal window run this command:

xdg-mime query default application/pdf

If the output is something other than org.pwmt.zathura.desktop, it means that zathura is not the default one.

To set zathura as the default handler, run this command

xdg-mime default org.pwmt.zathura.desktop application/pdf

and try to open the i3_help.pdf file again.

1 Like

That did the trick. Thanks!

In future, if I want to change a default application, does the input field for the second command always take the form of “org.pwmt” + “application.desktop”?

1 Like

.desktop files are stored in the directory /usr/share/applications/, so next time you want to change the default handler, you can search in this directory for the exact name of the file.

For example:

ls -l /usr/share/applications/ | grep -i "zathura"

If there are several files of the same application (like in the case of zathura) you’ll have to pick the right one - you’ll know which one this is going to be.

Although not relevant to the solution of question above, but good to know: .desktop files can be also stored for users in ~/.local/share/applications/.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.