Help needed with setting restoration

Long story short my system disk crapped out, like the system was unable to load. So i changed it and did a reinstall, now I need to restore the KDE/system settings luckily i can read from the previous system disk through an USB adapter.
Any help?

Is it only your Plasma configuration that you wish to restore, or other system settings as well?

If it’s only the Plasma configuration, those files can all be found under ~/.config and ~/.local/share. System-wide configuration is commonly found under /etc.

I would suggest mounting your old drive under /mnt and then copying back your data, as follows… — assuming that your old home directory was on the root filesystem: :point_down:

[ -d /mnt ] || sudo mkdir /mnt
sudo mount /dev/your-old-root-partition /mnt
sudo cp -RPp /mnt/home/your-name/.config/* ~/.config/
sudo cp -RPp /mnt/home/your-name/.local/share/* ~/.local/share/
sudo cp -RPp /mnt/etc/* /etc/
sudo sync
sudo umount /mnt

Best is to do this from within a tty while completely logged out of Plasma, because your Plasma configuration might otherwise get overwritten again by the running session’s own settings.

First, thank you for your time and attention.
Second what I want to restore is:

• Automatically mount my other disks (they are not despite the fact the graphic interface claim)
  • My NAS mount
  • My themes, wallpapers and login screens
  • Power and login management
  • My Steam since my games are not on the system disk (I contacted the Valve but they were not helpful)

This is not something you can restore, because auto-mounting is a non-persistent process. If however you set up those other filesystems in /etc/fstab or by way of systemd mounts, then that information will be copied over when you copy back the /etc of your original system.

For educational purposes, I will also include the following tutorial… :point_down:

Same as above. This will be configured under /etc and will thus be copied over again with the commands I gave you higher up.

Themes and wallpapers are stored under your $HOME, so they will be copied over alongside the rest if you execute the commands as I showed you higher up.

Login screens are a different thing. The splash screen that you see — if enabled — after logging in is also stored in your $HOME, but the actual login screens are a system-wide thing, and would need to be reinstalled from where you got them.

This should normally be copied over with the commands I gave you.

Well, I am not a gamer and I’ve never used Steam, but I suspect that those games will be in a directory ~/Steam or something of the likes. So you will have to look for such a directory in your old home directory on the broken drive, and then copy it over. You should be able to do this from within a graphical file manager such as Dolphin.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
I am just trying to make sure. I need to do it in command line without the graphical interface. How can I access it after the start?
Bottom line I wont do it today but rather Friday or during the weekend because I have stuff to do.

If you mean a command line, then just press Ctrl+Alt+F3. That should switch you over to a tty.

Other than that, I’m not sure what you mean. :thinking:

1 Like

I have another question:
There is an adapter, that allowed me convert the previous NVME disk to the USB device. In that case what is the best course of action in your opinion? Again, thanks for you time.

The principle is the same. Nothing changes. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I tried this, now I am in emergency mode after a reboot
Edit: It does NOT load the configuration even after switching to a different kernel
Edit2: I got this

Obviously there is something wrong with your /etc/fstab. Your UUID is not correct. You need to adapt /etc/fstab and GRUB to point at the correct UUID, or change the UUID of your new root partition into that of your old root partition, but in that case, your old root partition should not be mounted or connected, or else the system will get confused.

You can do all of this from the live USB, by the way. That way you can make all the changes before attempting to reboot again.

I just edited the /etc/fstab (long live the mobile phone camera). Anyway thanks for the help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.