Help installing manjaro-kde-16.10.3-stable-x86_64 iso on macbook with Radeon HD 6490M 256mb graphics

I am just trying to boot a Live manjaro from a USB flashdrive on a 2011 Macbook Pro 15" with the Radeon HD 6490M graphics set. I followed the forum directions installing the converted ISO manjaro-kde-16.10.3-stable-x86_64 and I am getting stuck booting it – I get to the Waiting for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit (as many others here have) and so I CTL-ALT-F2 to shell.

I followed some instructions here to edit a mwhd config file (sorry didn’t copy that down) to change VESA to RADEON. I then did the instructed sudo modprobe RADEON. And I rebooted but still hung at the same place.

I went to shell again and tried startx which was suggested. But error messages say XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running.

So it seems the system thinks I am already in Xwindows??

I am a complete newb and trying to boot this LIVE distro so I can start to learn… I am not looking to install it on my Macbook…

I have searched other long threads on this without finding more that seems to apply.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me through this hump.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.