Headphone Jack is Inverted/Working in Reverse with Laptop Speakers

Hello - I have a persistent problem (after several rounds of updates) where my laptop plays sound through the internal speakers with a 3.5mm cord plugged in (just the plug), and Auto-Mutes the laptop speakers when headphones/3.5mm plug is unplugged from the headphone jack. This result is shown in alsamixer where the SPEAKER is “M/M” without a 3.5mm plug installed and vice versa.

The sound used to work normally and not be reversed and I’ve been living with the problem for some time so I can’t remember exactly when/why things went wrong.

My alsa-info data:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: CX20753/4 Analog [CX20753/4 Analog]

I’m running Kernel 5.4.58-1 (problem persists in mutiple kernels such as 5.14 and 5.6), in the KDE Plasma desktop environment, on a Thinkpad E485 (Ryzen 5 2500u). Anyone run into this before or have suggestions for a fix?

Hello, please read this
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1895337#p1895337
and enable the onboard microphone in the firmware BIOS options.

2 Likes

Wow, you are good. Thank you.

For anyone else reading this - I do not recommend the Lenovo EX85 use with Linux as Lenovo has deliberately chosen not to support basic Linux functionality requiring users to input boot parameters manually just to boot among other issues. The E485 Linux experience has forever soured me on the company.

Manjaro is great though!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.