Hdmi not detected on laptop with intel/ati dual graphics

i’m trying to use the hdmi port of my laptop. but apparently only the intel gpu is being used.
there is no option in my bios to disable the intel gpu(but you can disable the ati gpu).
from what i read i might need to use reverse prime. i ran these without any error:

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource "Radeon 540X Series @ pci:0000:02:00.0" Intel
xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto --above LVDS1

but there is nothing displayed in the hdmi display. output of xrandr:

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
eDP1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 340mm x 190mm
   1920x1080     60.06*+
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

output of sudo mhwd:

> 0000:03:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:02:00.0 (0380:1002:6987) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:8a56) Display controller Intel Corporation:
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information in your posts - Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

2. Because it looks like you don’t need video-vesa but I want to be sure before I tell you to remove that and try again…

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU you have, …

Thank you for your reply and sorry about the late reply.
The next day the hdmi started to work. Perhaps I forgot to reboot after my changes. I’m not even sure the reverse prime is making it work or not.

P.S. I’d entered my desktop environment already. but since i use manjaro on different machines(home, work, …) I’m not sure how to do the rest.

1 Like

Just put “Multple machines running Manjaro” in one of the fields…