Having trouble with my first Manjaro installation (after several years of Arch) and I think it has to do with network/wifi

Just had this for the third time today: played a game on Steam (Axes & Acres, a simpler game almost doesn’t exist, but it is fantastic, has worked perfectly for years for me), Steam starts syncing the save game and then the laptop hangs. This doesn’t seem to recover and I need to hard reset to get it back to work. The Steam cloud sync has not finished, telling me that nothing works when it hangs, it’s not simply the graphics that hang or something like that.

• On Arch, clicking the NetworkManager applet was immediate, here it always takes up to 30 seconds to show up. The i3 status bar is then sometimes also unresponsive.
  • On Arch, I used pulseaudio without any issues, I can’t get it to work stable here.
  • On Arch, I never had a crash during a Steam sync.

I’m getting very frustrated. I really want Manjaro to be the solution I need: Arch, but stable. At the moment, Arch was way more stable on this machine :frowning_face:

If you think I should ask this question on other places too (mainly asking because it might be something different than a network issue), please say so…

Wow! I’ve been looking at loads of documentation on the web, and most of it ends up referring to hardware issues. However you’ve got great hardware. The interesting thing I found was about System Calls to the kernel, and the fact that the I/O to the kernel could potentially be a bottleneck and slow everything down. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any quick solutions and there is a LOT of heavy-duty documentation to wade through. One thing just occurred to me though: Have you tried swapping kernels, either to an earlier LTS one or to the latest 5.8 using Manjaro Settings Manager?

Regarding your last post, perhaps it may be good to start another thread with a different title not just based on network.

No, silly me, I haven’t tried that! I will do that ASAP.

Ok, I will.

I just tried 5.8 and 5.4 LTS and both have the same problems. As I have probably used all of these before on my Arch installation (without those issues), I guess it is not kernel-related?

Ouch! Well I’m pretty much screwed on ideas as to what it could be. I’ve run a whole load of Linux/Unix diagnostics on my own system looking for solutions (although it’s a problem I don’t have) and I can’t find anything new worth looking at to show what is causing the problem or how to rectify it. If it’s not kernel-related or Read/Write to disk then I have no idea. Have you run top and looked at the wa/iowait percentage? It should be close to 0%.

A new thread (first) or a reinstall after backing up your home folder without .configs (second) would seem to be the next move.

What diagnostics are those? Maybe they can show me some things?

Yeah, 0.0… everything is and idle is 99.9. It stays like that when clicking the NetworkManager applet. Still waiting for the popup… Ah it’s there.

Started a new thread already in the general area.
This installation was from scratch to begin with, I can do it again, but I don’t expect any difference. I could try the XFCE edition, would that make a difference?

Not sure which edition you’re using. XFCE is very stable. Don’t know if it would make a difference. I’ve just seen the other thread so perhaps we should concentrate on that one for now? Leave this one open just in case… :smile:

I did mention it :wink: i3

Oh sorry, my bad! :laughing:

Well, XFCE is one of the official editions.

1 Like

The other post didn’t help so I gave up. I posted this over there:

I stopped trying and went back to Arch for my laptop. I accepted that it would take a long time to study all the things I wanted Manjaro to take care of for me, but now my laptop works perfectly (great battery life and hybrid graphics now) and I have none of the issues I mentioned in this post. I learnt a lot from you guys, however. Thanks!

My desktop, however is working perfectly fine with Manjaro and I think I will keep it that way.

Cool! That means you can still learn about Manjaro on your Desktop. Maybe a solution for the Laptop will appear in due time. At least both your machines are working now. Enjoy! :grin:

Oh yeah, would you care to close this thread if one of the moderators doesn’t? Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.