Budgie Desktop Environment

I promised a while back when I got time I would create Budge DE profile in the tools This is now getting closer to a reality. I have spent all day building Budgie up from a minimal image. I think I am getting it close to what I want so hopefully it will not be too long now.

3 Likes

Looks good. How does performance compare to KDE?

Performance is ok I guess. I was testing on a sdcard so I really do not know what it can really do.

Things I noticed:

Compositing is hard coded in Budgie and can not be disabled

If you change the monitor resolution make sure you also set the Monitors Refresh rate to it’s proper Hz or can be a lot of screen tearing. This may not be an issue with most monitors but my Vizio tv has never been able to provide the EDID info.

If you want to test I do not think @Strit has updated the manjaro-arm-installer yet but you should be able to build it with the manjaro-arm-tools:

sudo getarmprofiles -f
sudo buildarmimg -d rpi4 -e budgie -v test -n
2 Likes

I had a bit of time to make a test image for the Pinebook Pro and noticed the following. There is no wallpaper by default, likely because it’s actually using another screen, just like in XFCE. HDMI and eDP (which the PBP has) are 2 different screen and thus needs to be set separately. :slight_smile:

Also it kept locking up/freezing on me every couple minutes, but that could be because my SD card is getting worn out.

Probably true as I had wallpaper on my pi4 when I built a test image.

Has not happened here other when I noticed the Refresh rate was not set properly for the monitor there was some long lags. I actually had to get away from 1366x768 because there was no setting for the refresh rate available. Then using 1920x1080 it wanted to use 30 Hz instead of 60 when I first switched to it.

Did you test the brightness control?

Is there any update on this DE development?