Install manjaro on ssd and keep data on hdd

Hello everyone, I am just decided to move to Manjaro from W10. Firstly, I’m completely new to the Linux community. There are few questions to ask you guys.
My first issue is, I want to install Manjaro on SSD, but the data on HDD should remain, and I have to access my data from the new Manjaro installation. I have my code samples in my HDD, so I can reuse them from Manjaro.
My second issue is, After installing Manjaro on SSD, I should install all other software on my HDD.
And also If you have a roadmap to recommend to users who new to Linux, feel free to write it.

During install you can select the drive you install on (ssd).

You should install software on ssd, on hd it’s too slow.

Manjaro user manual: Manjaro - User Guide

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Well, I am not going to give you any direct advice on doing what you say you want to do, because GNU/Linux does not work the same way Windows does. Windows maintains a volume-oriented approach to storage, with different drive letters, and everyone basically has write access to everything except for the C:\WINDOWS directory.

GNU/Linux on the other hand is a UNIX system, and UNIX does not use drive letters, nor does it allow everyone to write to everything.

UNIX is an integrated/integrating operating system architecture, and once you install an application, it becomes just a mere extension of the base operating system. As such, the bulk of the software is always installed under /usr ─ sometimes under /opt if it is third-party software that was installed outside of the scope of the package manager ─ with the executables, libraries and shared data spread out across several subdirectories. So your applications will always be installed in the same place, as determined by the package manager ─ which in itself is also something Windows does not have.

Now, when it comes to data, the personal configuration files and personal data of the different user accounts is stored under /home, in subdirectories that carry the name of the user, and subdirectories thereof for the various types of data. However, you can mount an alien filesystem into the directory hierarchy, and if this alien filesystem ─ say ntfs ─ contains data specific to one user only, then I recommend mounting it to a directory (“folder”) under your own personal $HOME, e.g. at /home/bedii97/data.

As for how to mount such a filesystem, the default autodetection and automounting mounts the filesystem under /run somewhere, but that often leads to permissions issues, which is why I propose not using the autodetection and instead setting up a mountpoint and adding a static “rule” for it in /etc/fstab. I have elaborated on the procedure in the post linked below… :arrow_down:

3 Likes

You should just install them on the SSD.

Linux =/= Windows

On Windows, when installing a program, you can select where it’s installed, and the registry is notified where it is to be able to uninstall later as well.

On Linux, you install directly from the repository. You don’t go out and download a program from a website, and install typically. And these installs goes directly to your installation drive, which in this case would be your SSD.

Yes, you can move around where your stuff gets installed via symbolic links or mounting different directories to the HDD. But as you’re new, I don’t recommend that at all. I recommend getting used to using Linux before you make bigger changes or customizations.

Though some programs like Steam or Lutris lets you set where your game library is, which makes that easy since you can just select a different drive.

You’ll still be able to easily access the HDD via the File Manager to throw files on it, or to view files on it.

3 Likes

Tahnk you for all your answers. I hope I got you right.

I thought I could dictate where the package manager would install software but I guess that is not possible. So I have to ask, how do I manage the SSD(128GB) from being not full capacity? And how should I do the HDD partitioning?

I used to run a 128GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. I had a ton of packages installed, but it never reached 128GB capacity.

All of my Steam Library games, Lutris Games, RAW photos, movies, and all other personal files were on the HDD. I used to also keep maybe a few games on my SSD too that I want to load faster.

1 Like

You can split off certain directories onto separate partitions. The common recommendation is to keep /home on a separate partition as it’s more robust and also allows for the root filesystem to be reformatted without losing your personal data.

You can however also split off other directories, including subdirectories of your $HOME. I always advise reading the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard for inspiration. :arrow_down:

https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/index.html

Note: Splitting off /usr is possible, but requires extra work in Manjaro, given that /usr needs to be readable at boot.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.