Have not been able to update in months due to AUR package failing to build

I removed them, this thread feels like bringing my system to the doctor

… that is where you go when you need help and can’t manage on your own :wink:

(base) [daniel@daniel-pc ~]$ pacman -Qdt and pactree -r qt4
error: failed to initialize alpm library:
(root: qt4, dbpath: qt4/var/lib/pacman/)
could not find or read directory

Don’t forget to take the invoice.

Please take a second and don’t blindly copy/paste everything you see. :stuck_out_tongue:

these are two separate commands - not one … (not both on one line)
pacman -Qdt
and
pactree -r qt4

Sorry that was really dumb, one second

(base) [daniel@daniel-pc ~]$ pacman -Qdt
lib32-lcms2 2.13.1-1
lib32-libgudev 237-2
lib32-libinstpatch 1.1.6-1
lib32-libsoup 2.74.2-1
lib32-libusb 1.0.26-1
lib32-libxkbcommon 1.4.0-1
lib32-portaudio 1:19.7.0-1
qt4 4.8.7-33
(base) [daniel@daniel-pc ~]$ pactree -r qt4
qt4
(base) [daniel@daniel-pc ~]$

as was said:
remove qt4

thanks (I only removed libdbusmenu-qt4 before, as it was the only name I saw in the missing/orphaned packages list), but now I removed qt4 too

Was just wondering why it isn’t listed there.

You can remove the rest too: pacman -Qdtq | sudo pacman -Rns -

Edit: Also post output of pacman -Qm

This worked, wouldn’t have figured this out on my own

(base) [daniel@daniel-pc ~]$ pacman -Qdtq | sudo pacman -Rns -
[sudo] password for daniel: 
checking dependencies...
:: lib32-alsa-plugins optionally requires lib32-jack: for pcm_jack plugin
:: lib32-alsa-plugins optionally requires lib32-libsamplerate: for rate_samplerate plugin

Packages (11) lib32-glib-networking-2.72.0-1  lib32-jack2-1.9.21-1  lib32-libproxy-0.4.17-2  lib32-libsamplerate-0.2.2-1  lib32-lcms2-2.13.1-1  lib32-libgudev-237-2  lib32-libinstpatch-1.1.6-1  lib32-libsoup-2.74.2-1
              lib32-libusb-1.0.26-1  lib32-libxkbcommon-1.4.0-1  lib32-portaudio-1:19.7.0-1

Total Removed Size:  5.92 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Processing package changes...
( 1/11) removing lib32-portaudio                                                                                                              [######################################################################################] 100%
( 2/11) removing lib32-jack2                                                                                                                  [######################################################################################] 100%
( 3/11) removing lib32-libsamplerate                                                                                                          [######################################################################################] 100%
( 4/11) removing lib32-libxkbcommon                                                                                                           [######################################################################################] 100%
( 5/11) removing lib32-libusb                                                                                                                 [######################################################################################] 100%
( 6/11) removing lib32-libsoup                                                                                                                [######################################################################################] 100%
( 7/11) removing lib32-glib-networking                                                                                                        [######################################################################################] 100%
( 8/11) removing lib32-libproxy                                                                                                               [######################################################################################] 100%
( 9/11) removing lib32-libinstpatch                                                                                                           [######################################################################################] 100%
(10/11) removing lib32-libgudev                                                                                                               [######################################################################################] 100%
(11/11) removing lib32-lcms2                                                                                                                  [######################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Updating 32-bit GIO module cache...

(base) [daniel@daniel-pc ~]$ pacman -Qm

audio-recorder 3.3.4-1
canon-pixma-mg5700-complete 5.20-1
fancontrol-gui v0.8-1
gnome-icon-theme 3.12.0-6
gnome-icon-theme-symbolic 3.12.0-6
kde-servicemenus-rootactions 2.9.1-1
masterpdfeditor-free 4.3.89-1
thinkfan 1.3.1-1
xdg-su 1.2.3-2

Ok, I guess.
If you need those “x optionally requires y” just install back y.

So, does yay work any better now?

Yes! thank you so much for your patience

Should I delete every package in the output of pacman -Qm too?

Those are foreign aka AUR packages. You’re the boss of your system. You installed them (slight edit: some packages are “demoted” into AUR), you can remove them. I have no idea what you use and what not.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.